Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boston Globe: Short Cycling is good :(

Options
JH_2
JH_2 Member Posts: 57
Thought that the Pro's on here might find this amusing.

The weekly Boston globe handyman Q&A column this week had a writer asking why their 1-pipe started to short cycle after it was recently worked on.  Peter Hotton, the globe home repair advice guy responded to the reader saying that .... get this... short cycling was GOOD.  His logic was that the short runs would bring back condensate at a higher temperate and reduce the amount of heat needed to reboil.

In any case this is the second time in a month of dubious advice on steam in that column (last time he was promoting auto feeders so you "never have to look at the boiler again").  This time I actually wrote in and suggested he read the wall or lost art before giving out any more "advice"

-Jeremy

Comments

• Globe handyman

I saw both of those and I sent an email to him after his suggestion that autofeeders are God's gift to steam boilers. He never responded and his followup the next week was even further off the mark.

This columnist is usually pretty much on the money in his column but it's obvious he doesn't understand steam. I agree that he would be well advised to peruse The Wall before handing out any more advise on steam systems.
This discussion has been closed.