Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Practicing your Precision

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I am currently blessed to be working with my 19 year old son. He is helping me part time while he decides what he wants to do career wise. ( isometimes think he's aimless, my wife tells me he's special. :) ) I probably am difficult to work with because I've grown to the point where I like things done nice and right. An example was the other day I sent him to level the ground for an outdoor A/C unit pad. Since the earth level had risen because of a garden bed I had him put half cinder blocks under the pad to raise and level the pad. When I inspected his work it was OK but,..., while the pad was level on top of them,  the cinder blocks were not evenly placed or square or straight in under the pad. Why not make it neat in under, is the old dog's question. Why should I? is the young mans retort. No one will ever see it. Why take the energy and time to make it neat all the way in under. Firstly I tell him, You know what it looks like, and now so do I. The next guy replacing this one 20 years from now will see it too. However. I have a concept I call practicing your precision. Take everything you do and try to do it the best it can be done. Every time.Practice doing your best every time, even when no one is looking. I think I may be an old poop, and this might be an older mans idea, but I think it's a good one.  What do you think? 

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    like what i,m hearing

I like that wayne it not only show pride in workmanship but also show a work ethic which is rarely seen these days,i used to work for a company whih had some very good mech but there was one guy who i would even admit was one of the world best mech promblem was he was extremely tough on the helpers many just could not handle it and quit most just got out of the bussiness never to return .But as i see it long after we are gone some young whipper snapper will gaze at your work and say thatold timer who did this must have been nuts and maybe there wheel will turn and they to will get the pratice perfection motto and read the instruction and install a sytem which follows the manafatures suggestion and is corretly installed and some one is able to service it instaed of the drive by installs whih are tossed in with no plan for any one to ever service them ,great thread and a motto which i believe alot of wet heads may pratice .peace and good luck clammy and yes i have always thought of forming a company of the worlds best mechancs i doubt there wuld br any helper a real tough crowd
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Do it right or stay home

My father always told me and any help if they want to "goof" of they can stay home and " goof" off. by this he meant every detail of doing a job right. In the end I am happy I started when I was 3 and thought my Da was always right. If I started when I was 15 we would have argued much more and I would be a civil engineer or some such thing as I would have thought he was too hard to work with. I am sure your ways will rub off more than you know Wayne. I got two boys of my own I am trying to train. The oldest is 9 and the youngest is 6 so still got them thinking I know what I am talking about.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.