Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Top not getting hot

Options
marie14
marie14 Member Posts: 3
Old oil furnace.  First floor radiators work perfectly.  When get up to 2nd floor - each bedroom has a radiator, but only the bottom of them are getting hot.  I've bleed the several times, still no luck.  Is there some type of adjustment needed to make on the actual unit in the basement?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    top of rads not getting hot

Marie: with an old "beast" like that boiler, I would suggest you contact a heating professional. It may be pressure related or another issue. Best to have someone look at it. Old equipment does not always respond like we might advise and trouble could be waiting at the turn of a screw.

AL
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Bleeding

When you bleed the radiators , do you end up with water ? If not , you don't have enough system water pressure...i cant read the gauge
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • marie14
    marie14 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiator Top not getting hot

Yes - I always get water out when it bleeds.
  • Hop
    Hop Member Posts: 5
    Options
    top not hot

Is it a gravity system or do you have a circulator pump?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Can we get a couple more pictures?

one of the side of the boiler and maybe one of from a bit farther back? Are the valves open at the radiators? A picture of them would be good also. There is the find a pro section at the top of the page. Some of us do work on all types of boilers not just steam
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Radiators.

Are the supply and return lines both on the bottom of the radiators? Is there a pressure gauge on the boiler (if you can trust it to be accurate)? What does it read?
This discussion has been closed.