Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pump question

Options
I have a water to water heat pump that was installed 2 yrs ago.  This year for some reason a change has occured.  Seems that when the power goes out to the home, one of the  heat pumps main breaker trips?   Any ideas

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Sounds like

a power surge on re-start. Could be a weak breaker. YOu do not want to roast that unit due to poor power supply. Get your elec. system checked by a good tech.
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    One detail

Jack

Thanks for the reply.  The thing is its not tripping the breaker on start up(power back on.  Its tripping the breaker when the power goes out.  The customer found the breaker open when the power was still out?  I am not sure if the unit was operating at the time.  If it was could it have something to do with the compressor.?

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Hate to say it, but...

the ONLY time I've found an open circuit breaker serving a HP was when the motor was toast. Shorted winding to ground.

If the motor still works, it probably is a weak breaker, or a bad connection somewhere between power source and the device. Have your electrician check it out, because I doubt you have the equipment necessary to avoid the possibility associated with inadvertent arc flash protection now required by the NFPA to open an active panel.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.