Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wood fired boiler pex al pex infloor

hi , i would like to know piping schematics for a wood fired boiler with infloor pex al pex tubing. i am an apprentice and would like to know the proper way to hook this system up. the emitter temp should not exceed 160f but the return to the boiler should be 180f. i have looked at mixing and temp controlled valves but i am not sure which would be best for this application. if some smart experianced dude or dudette could help me with this piping configuration i would appreciate it. thanks

Comments

• Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    Use a heat exchanger

Use a heat exchanger to isolate the closed loop system from the open loop outdoor wood stove.  Incorporate any mixing valves or controls to limit the output of the heat exchanger to the closed loop system. 

Thanks,

Minnesota Wayne
  • rmarr
    rmarr Member Posts: 4
    wood fired boiler pex al pex infloor

this is an in house kerr highlander wood boiler, not an outdoor boiler. I would appreciate more help with the piping schematics, thanks very much.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    My suggestion

Would be for you to start reading the installation manual that came with the boiler. If you don't have it, call them and ask them to e-mail you the PDF. I would then do a some research concerning radiant heat. Since you are in the trade, I would suggest you get your boss, foreman or someone with some experience to give you a helping hand and guide you through the install. Lastly you don't want the help of a "dude" you need the help of a "Pro".
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • rmarr
    reply to chris

I have the manual, it does not provide the piping schematics for pex al pex in floor. I have done some research on different control systems. I work in an industrial setting and don't work with residential systems. All i wanted to know is which would be the best way to hook this system up from somebody who  has done it. If you don't know how, please don't waste my time and try to belittle me DUDE.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2010
    Advice

I am in no way belittling you and yes I know how to pipe the boiler. I was giving you a piece of advice as you stated you were an apprentice. Maybe I assumed you worked for a trade contractor and that would be the best avenue for you. You cannot expect us to tell you how to pipe it. We can give you, as I did, the best advice we can. Again, I would call the manufacture of the boiler, ask for technical assistance and have them supply you with an approprite diagram for their equipment. As for connecting the radiant.  It is connected the same way as it would be from any heat source. You need some type of water temperature mixing and a pump.  I don't know enough about your job to tell you any more than that.

By the way, the attached manual for a Keer boiler on pages 19 and 20 show you how to pipe the boiler to your existing boiler system.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • rmarr
    Thanks Chris

Hi Chris, I must have taken your first note out of context. Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.