Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam pipe joint rusted solid

mel rowe
mel rowe Member Posts: 324
Trying to replace the pipe that goes into the radiator inlet valve.  The pipe is too short to match up with the height of the radiator.  Haven't been able to get it to budge.  Tried WD 40 and also used an extender  on the end of my big pipe wrench.  No luck.  Is there something better than WD 40?  Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.  I'm afraid that if I just keep going as is, I am going to collapse the old pipe and create a big mess.    

Comments

• SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Give it some soaking time...

Try Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. Hit it 4-6 times in the course of an hour and let it soak. Then get it with a wrench. If this doesn't work you might have to resort to heat. These fluids are light years better than WD40 for freeing rusted stuck items.
    Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber
  • mel rowe
    mel rowe Member Posts: 324
    Stubborn pipe joint

Thanks very much, Scott.  Sounds like just what I need.
  • heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102
    heat it with torch

if you can heat it up with torch the expansion will usually break it free  specially if they used expando as pipe dope 
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Torch

Heat it up and place a candle on the joint, it will wick the wax in, if you dont have a candle use a wax ring, both will work
  • Radiator Ranger
    Radiator Ranger Member Posts: 81
    Heating the fitting

Hi -

Applying a lubricant several times is a good approach. If you go with heat, be sure to focus the heat on the fitting you're trying to remove and not the entire radiator. On those extra stuck fittings I've had good luck when another person taps lightly on the fitting I'm removing as I try to untwist it. I try to maximize leverage with the radiator in a position to support this, a leverage bar etc. Also, sometimes I can get it moving by tightening first then loosening once I've budged it. If the pipe does collapse, you can carefully remove it using a hack saw and chisel (saw several pieces of the fitting (careful not to bunge the threads), then chisel the pieces apart. Twisting the fitting out is of course the least time consuming and risky). I hope this goes well!

Gwen Healy - Radiator Ranger
    Gwen Healy - Radiator Ranger
This discussion has been closed.