Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grundfos and Taco

First post here so bear with me and thank you in advance for any information you can offer.

I'm trying to make unbiased decisions on which circulators to use in our hydronic systems. I know that Taco has a very large customer base that is very loyal and believes in Taco. I've heard that their tech support is good as well, though I've not had opportunity to use it. I've built systems in Grundfos' lab here in K.C.  for their testing and training. I've almost exclusively used Grundfos. When I asked a local pipe fitter, he stated that installers like Taco, but service guys like Grundfos, implying that the Grundfos doesn't need to be replaced as much.

Apart from the Delta T configuration that Taco offers as well as their price, I'm concerned about design and reliability. With Grundfos, I'm just looking at cost, with no concerns about design or reliability.

I'm interested in what service aspect has been experienced with these two manufacturers. Have you had to replace Grundfos or Taco pumps and was it due to plain old pump failure? If so, what failed? Thank you again. -Steve

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Circulators

Service guys like Grundfos?  Taco circulators have a replaceable cartridge, with the grundfos you have to replace the whole pump.
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Have your priced out

a replacement cart of a 00 lately. Pretty close the price of the enitre pump and most guys change the pump out anyway. Gundfos should be a service mans goto pump. Put a 15-58 and a 26-99 on the truck. You just covered yourself for just about any job you may come across in the middle of the night.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • EricAune
    edited December 2009
    I guess its just who the wholesaler is pushing on the wall

The Taco OOR & OO10 3 speed are possibly the best service pumps available.  Replaceable cartridge, multi-position flange and most of the time they are actually replacing a Grundfos.

Let ME get this straight; If I get an account @ your house I should expect to be pushed into installing only Viessman boilers talked into spending more for an entire pump when I could do the job for less (on both sides) and possibly build referral business?

In my area we are still getting the cartridges for about 1/3 less than the entire pump.  Less room on the shelf, faster.

I like Grundfos circulators.  Up until about four years ago they were all I would use.  After a while I noticed I was not changing out any Taco pumps on service calls, researched Taco sizing applications and decided to switch over.  This was not an easy decision, I am a two man shop.  This could have cost me a lot of money if it didn't work out.  Well as I see it business has actually improved in the call back department when related to performance issues along with fixing others poor pumping practices.

Glad I didn't listen to my salesman that time.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    "The whole pump"?

you can replace the head on a grundfos pump with 4 allen bolts and redoing the wire connections. it's about a 15 minute operation if you're slow on the wiring, no water involved.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • EricAune
    What for?

You still have to buy the whole circ. don't you?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I have not found a Grundfos replacement motor.  I could be wrong, have been many times before.

I guess my "like" in the Taco products stem from not having to rewire & replace the whole thing.  I know this is just another way for Taco to sell me another part and keep me in their corner but I chose to stay...so far.

NRT_Rob, I enjoy reading your input on the wall, you constantly reassure my own notion in that I will always have a lot to learn.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Actually

I sell very little Taco Pumps. Most use Grundfos. I have carts for the 00's and if you want to buy one I would sell it to you. Most guys change out the complete pump. I think they choose to change it out because they feel more comfortable changing out the entire pump.

To anwser your Viessmann questions. I'll sell you what ever line of boiler you want. I have Triangle, Munchkin, Burnham Apline, Peerless Pure Fire, etc. The reason I sell more Viessmann. I don't have to worry about selling on price and my customers love if for the fact that they actually have a product that they can sell and make a few extra bucks versus always selling on price. Every Supply house in a 20 mile radius sells every line except for Viessmann. Why do you think that is? Wouldn't have anything to do with being order takers would it? If you opened an account with me yes my goal is to provided you with education and information on products that will help you grow your business and to support you no matter what boiler line you sell. Do you think I just have customers that sell Viessmann? Sorry, I don't and they get the same support and effort from me. As for referrals, I probably give atleast 6 or so a week to my customers. We have homeowners that call us every day looking for good contractors. Shame that you wouldn't want to be a part of this type of team.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    I certainly still learn every day

and I hope it never stops!

Is a replacement head significantly less money? I can't imagine it is, the body it mounts to isn't much of the overall cost of the pump, is it?

I am primarily concerned about ease of service, and not having to open the system up to make a repair is a pretty nice benefit. but if a replacement head is something like half cost or something, that's pretty cool too.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I go by the pump curves and the job

In my area few places even stock cartridges for replacement and those that do the price is close to the price I buy whole pumps at. I like and install both. For basic meat and spud jobs I lean towards 007 pumps as they are readily available and cost effective. I like grundfos for radiant jobs. I find with isolation valves it is less  labor to switch the whole pump than to change the cartridge. But do what works for you in your shop. If you lock in to being just a Taco or just a Grundfos shop it is like saying you only install one type of boiler or just one type of heat distribution method. Doing that is great if you have an infinite customer base for your product. I prefer having a full arsenal at my disposal.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.