Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Charging pump

Options
Slimpickins
Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
I'm a HVAC contractor and getting back into solar and found out my old Grumman Jet pumps are bad. They were great for charging closed loops systems and I'm not sure parts are available. What pumps are ya'all using these days? I run into some silicone oil systems so I'll need two separate pumps. I'd like something fairly small, portable and not too pricy. My supply house said just use the ol' Silver King Force pump but I know that doesn't get all the air out. Thanks in advance!

Slim

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    for residential

systems the 1/2 Teel or Liberty transfer pumps work well. We are starting to see some glycol charging carts on the market, I have one in the works.

For larger systems I have seen guys use an old swimming pool pump on a cart or frame. A lot of GPM for flushing larger diameter systems.

What's your plan for that old Gruman? I might be interested in it.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Grundfos

You mean Grundfos Jet pumps, and I bet you could find parts.

Model # JP4-48

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Yeah you right

Oops,  I did mean Grundfos. I think I got mixed up because it was the Grumman Sunsteam panels I installed back in the early 80's. Thanks Hot Rod for the advice on the Liberty pump which I brought to recharge a 3 panel DHW system I replaced a pump on. It worked great and I was amazed at the pressure I was able to achieve for purging.

I will check with Grundfos for parts to repair because if I remember correctly the pump had a lot of oomph for larger systems.
This discussion has been closed.