Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean new pipe and fittings first?

Brian_74
Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
I'm getting ready to add a vent menorah (or antler or candelabra). Since the pipe and fittings will have some protective oil on them, I was thinking that I should clean them first so that the oil doesn't get into the vent or go back to the boiler. Good idea? Unnecessary?
1929 Ideal Heating vapor system.

Comments

• Clean Them

Clean them before installing them. It's a lot easier to do it this way than having the steam clean them and then you having to skim the boiler, possibly multiple times.

- Rod
  • SteamHeat
    SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
    Materials?

Is a good wipe down with a clean rag sufficient, or should rubbing alcohol or other solvent be used ?

The more I read, the more I learn from you guys. Thanks.
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Thanks, Rod.

That was my thinking, too. With your help, I think I'm gradually thinking more like someone who has a clue about this steam/vapor stuff.

Brian
    1929 Ideal Heating vapor system.
  • Cleaning Pipe

It depends on how oily they are. if there is a heavy covering so they look like they're coated with  cosmoline then I use a commercial degreaser first.  Simple Green and a roll of paper towel is a good start. and then if they are small fittings, I put some good dishwashing soap, like Joy,  in a bucket with hot water and further wash the parts  Clean them and rinse them, a couple of times. You have to remember it doesn't take much oil to screw up the surface tension of your boiler water so you get wet steam.  Scrubbing pipe parts down with soapy water and hosing them off is a lot less hassle than skimming and even then you may have to skim. You WILL have to skim much more if you don't wash the parts!

- Rod
  • SteamHeat
    Dilution?

Are you using the Simple Green undiluted ?

Or do you dilute it with water in some ratio?

Thanks.
  • Cleaning Pipe

Undiluted I guess. The stuff I use comes in a spray bottle like Windex. I spray it on a rag, on the part and wipe the part and then wipe it off with paper towels, This is just if there is heavy dirt/grease.  Then or if the grease is light I wash if in a 5 gal bucket of hot water with plenty of Joy or another good liquid soap. Finished by a rinse with the hose. Repeat as necessary to get the parts clean, Make sure you thoroughly rinse it, It can be a pain to do with a long pipe but a lot less pain than constant skimming, If the inside is dirty I use a piece of electrical wire and a rag like you were cleaning a bore of a shotgun.

- Rod
  • SteamHeat
    Bree Van de Kamp Would Be Pleased :-)

Excellent instructions.  Now I just need dishwashing gloves. :-)
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Cleaning

I use Arm & Hammer solution to clean pipe B4 installing
This discussion has been closed.