Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gylcol leakin

Options
billdean
billdean Member Posts: 1
I have a hydro therm oil fired boiler. I have a glycol leak since it was install. I find no evidence of a leak any under the house. I have isolated zone valves but still use about 2 gallons a week. I have seen no sign of a leak any where. My only thought is the heat exchanger is leaking back into the domestic water. Has any one had this big of leak they could not find or have any other ideas. The unit will shut down in the middle of the night because of lack of flow and it gets darn cold.

Comments

• KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options
    boiler leak

I am surprised that there are no replies to this. Maybe you should post it under main wall because it is not really specific to oil burners.

I recently installed a Buderus boiler that loses about 5 psi per week which is not much but I can't figure out where it goes.

The domestic exchanger is very unlikely because you should have more pressure on the domestic side. When exchangers (rarely) leak, the domestic pressure causes the boiler pressure relief to blow off since most houses have more than 30 psi water.

I would not add glycol until I found the problem since that is an expensive waste.

You can leave the boiler fill valve open and keep the pressure up so the heat does not go off.

You may want to examine the air vents and relief valve closely since those are the most common sources of slow leaks.

If all your pipes are visible then the leak may be on the boiler. You can remove the jacket and see if water is leaking on the boiler and drying up before it shows on the floor.
This discussion has been closed.