Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant thermostat

jhill
jhill Member Posts: 7
 Got bored this past weekend and retrofit radiant in my master bath. Figured I'd get some use out of all the leftover material in my garage. I have an oil boiler firing baseboard heat and an indirect hwh. Bathroom is just under 200 sq. ft. so I ran it off my hot water recirc line in the master bath, using primary/secondary with a taco ebv zone valve between the t's. zone valve is normally open so it closes on a call for heat rerouting water to radiant. Zone valve was special order [three weeks out] so for now I just threw in a ball valve to try it out until I get my zone valve. Did the whole thing on a budget of 90 dollars which is for my zone valve, can't beat that.Got rid of some of that material that never seems to make it out to the job at the start of a new install and freed up some room to boot.  Started pondering how i'm gonna control it with a air thermostat which I got kicking around the garage or maybe a tekmar with a floor sensor which I'd have to pick up from the supply house. Then I started to wonder if there was a thermostat on the market that sensed air temperature, floor temp. and outdoor temp. that would vary the max. setting on floor temp. with outdoor temp. achieving a outdoor reset type control over floor temp. with a set supply water temp. If there was I would probably use it, although it would probably quadruple my current 90 dollar budget. Think I got a bigger kick out of that than my newly warm floors. Just curious if there was such a product on the market. If not there should be there is definitely applications for it.

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    not that I've seen.

you can see the outdoor temp, control floor temp, and give air temp control too with a tekmar 542 with a floor sensor and outdoor sensor attached.

but the outdoor sensor won't change anything. it will simply maintain the room temp you have set, with a minimum floor temperature.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    How about a

Non electric utilizing indoor reset controlling a simple diverting vlv.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.