Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Subfloor panels

Radman
Radman Member Posts: 75
Hey all,

I am looking for feedback on various types of subfloor radiant panels systems.

I have installed more than 20,000 sqFt of Roth, and a few thousand of warmboard.  I want someones feedback on the others, specific to this type of appication:

Existing basement slab, demolition not possible or in the budget.

Low floor height build-up allowed, 3/4" or less.  

Finished floor cover to be mixed: HWF(main living area), carpet (bedrooms), tile (baths).

Basically, this is for my house and Roth isn't going to cut it even though I love the stuff.   I need to pick up some R-value, and allow for carpet in the bedrooms because that's what Nancy wants.   Tile in the bath is desireable, and tile over Roth is a PITA.  The hardwoods will most likely be engineered, so the bath & bedrooms are the issue.

I am hoping to keep the build up low, spec 3/8" PEx Al PEx and not have to cut doors, affect the stair stringers, etc.   

What have been your experiences with the others?
"If it was easy, they would have called it PV."

Comments

• Michael_6
    Michael_6 Member Posts: 50
    Raupanel

Try the Raupanel it has the best output. The cost was high previously but the new pricing puts it in line with climate panel/ quik trac and is far superior.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    raupanel is good

if you're doing your own labor, you can also make your own with Thermofin "U" plates and plywood.

Not sure how you're going to do anything to "pick up R-value" over roth though..?
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    I have a simular problem,

My thought was to install the tubing in the perimeter walls.  Thin studs to fasten too.  close spacing at the floor level and then space the tubing farther apart at chest to eye level.  plywood spacing between the tubes and then sheetrock to cover everything.

Thanks,

Minnesota Wayne
  • Radman
    Radman Member Posts: 75
    Not much else out there huh?

Yes, I agree.  From what I can see there isn't much in the way of choices for panels with any R value.   Roth is it.  It's just that Roth is such a pain when it comes to tile and carpet.  By the time you add multi-ply, then cement board under the tile it really gets tall.    Schluter has a nice trowel on substrate for tile that omits the board, so I could use 3/8" Multi-Ply and tapcon it down.  I end up with a total build up of 1.5" to finished floor.   That's alot.   The real challenge is the carpet.  I wish there was a thermal mass interlocking-floating panel like Dri-Core that you could float over the Roth and set your carpet on.  

Well, thanks all.

BTW, Nice writeup in "Radiant Living" NRT_Rob, well done.  

Bo
    "If it was easy, they would have called it PV."
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    thanks

it was a good project all around for us and for Ed Reynolds who is a top notch installer, troubleshooter, and generally great guy all around. We love working with him.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.