Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vito Love

Options
There are many ways to skin a cat.... or in our industry save energy. This summer I took on a boiler replacement job. The existing system was a single temperature RFH with gyp and two 400 btu cast iron boilers. Now here is the key to the story, as with many of our customers this is an absentee homeowner. So when the customer left he simply turn down the t stats. When I walked into the mech room this summer I almost melted, it was at least 100F. So there was lots of energy to be saved. We installed two Vitodens 200 15-60 boilers, which is roughly half the existing boilers inputs. When installing two of the Vitodens boilers a Viessmann cascade control is required(Vitocontrol S).

Old system was 180 degree primary loop with DHW, Snowmelt, injection loop with lower temperature RFH. Now we have a 4 temp system. #1 RFH occupied mode based on 68F room temp. #2 RFH unoccupied mode based on 45F room temp. #3 DHW priority 167F and finally #4 external demand for snowmelt at 140F. So when the customer is there the system is at a 68F heating curve, but when they are gone the heating curve is based around 45F room temp.

The icing on the cake is we also installed a phone dialer for the customer to turn up and down the home, the Vitocontrol S is connected with the alarm contacts to call when the boilers have any problems, and there is a temperature sensor for freeze protection.

Two points of my thread. #1 Viessmann has the solutions to saving energy and providing comfort like no other. Anyone, who disagrees does not understand.

#2 There are a lot of ways to save energy other than alternatives, Start with the basics boilers are the first place to start with energy efficiency.

We should all learn from Viessmann's efforts to strive for energy and comfort solutions.

There is a lot of energy to be saved out there so get some.

The last time I checked my blood is still red!

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    The difference between

Viessmann and everyone else? Viessmann sells systems everyone else sell boilers! Wait until you get to play with the new Vitodens 200...It's even smarter!
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Soon

Soon we will be installing the new 200. Installed our first 100 last week, here in Colorado we did not have the opprotunity for the new 100 to install for it was not approved for high altitude. The 100 was easy, but seems to work well just no whistles and bells. We tried primary/secondary for the first time in awhile, instead of a low loss. Not sure yet. 100 control does not acknowledge the LLH with a sensor, like the 200. But I have been thinking about the hydronic benefits the LLH offers. One thing I thought was lacking was the info the 100 control offers...like what is the OTS, and what is the supply target temp, but maybe it can just be that simple.

The new 200 is yet to come. We still have a few more old 200s to install, which is fine with me. I am still learning a lot about the old 200, even after installing 45 of them.

We are another system that is over the top.

3-10 ton heat pumps

2-Vitodens 15-60 boiler

Vitocontrol C (custom control built by KW electronics)

18,000 fts Warmboard radiant floor heating

Chilled water cooing

Fan coils for 2nd stage heating

Snowmelt

DHW preheated with reverse indirects from GSHP

Wilo Stratos pumps with Oventrop comfort dials(non electric wall mount TRVs)

99% done....just that last 1% is the hardest. lots of commissioning

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    High altitude

The new 100 is sutiable for high altitude levels up to 10,000 ft without deration you must be way up in the mountains. The new 200 requires a coding plug above 5,000 ft. You can make the old 100's outdoor reset. Viessmann does have the kits and I have a few also. 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Altitude

Wizard

The earlier Vito 100s were not rated for high altitude and LP, which keep us out of the market. We install systems between 7000-9000'. Even with the new Vito 100, you can set it at high altitude, but we still have to fiddle with it for max efficiency and clean burning.  

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Radman
    Radman Member Posts: 75
    Options
    I love to hear you gush Jeffery

It is nice to have such options isn't it?

I can honestly say that since becoming a Viessmann dealer my life has improved.

Just the simple on-board timing program is enough to make you smile.  Factor in all of the other things you CAN do and there really is no better choice.

I'm going to go put on my jacket now.

Bo
    "If it was easy, they would have called it PV."
This discussion has been closed.