Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator Whistling?

Slim
Slim Member Posts: 9
I've got a new Weil McLain Gold boiler installed only last week. Maybe 1200 square foot residence. One Taco 007 on the supply, pumping away from the Spirovent / expansion tank. The zone valve manifold is about 8-10 inches downstream from circulator. No flow checks, no throttling valves. Normal water temp 180. Did not notice if the whistling happens only with hot water. Seems to happen whenever the pump is running, not just one particular zone. System whistles to no end when circulator is running.

I've purged the air from the system for 20 minutes to half hour. I do not believe air is the cause of my problem here, but I'm at a loss for how to make it stop. Any ideas?

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited November 2009
    Call the installer

In your topic you said you has this installed. Why are you trying to figure out what is going on? Call the contractor that installed the boiler, it's his install and his work. I'm sure he would like to know if something is wrong. The more you keep playing around with it the more he is going to say you caused some type of problem.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Slim
    I am the installer

ahem, excuse me. A correction. I installed the replacement boiler, my customer is bothered by a whistling, and I am scratching my head trying to figure how to cure it, instead of just replacing the circulator, or trying this then that then something else and still not finding a solution
  • CMadatMe
    Slow down

your flow rate. I would recalculate my system GPM and head. You might find that you most likely need to change that circ to a Grundfos UPS 15-58FRC and put it on low speed. On low it is more equiv to a Taco 005/006 but has the potential to go all the way to a 008 if need be.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    ECM Circ

1200 sq/ft with multiple zones? ECM is the way to go,or you could install a diff bypass valve
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Slim
    Low speed pump

I agree about the grundfos low-speed, thats what I was thinking to do. Normally I hate those multiple speed pumps, but I've got one on the truck, so thats the plan. Thanks
  • CMadatMe
    How did you make out ?

Didn't see your post from this morning until this evening. How did you make ot with the whistler?
  • Slim
    stupid mistake

Honestly, this is kind of embarrasing:

Gate valve on one of the returns was stuck in a 1/2 open position, causing restriction. I didnt notice it, because I got plenty of pressure through when I purged the air out. Just goes to remind me the golden rule of EVERYTHING. KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid...

Thanks to all for the helpful advice anyway.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Whistling circ

Only heard that once . On a steam boiler with a coil being used for a zone of heat . We didn't use a mixing valve and the temp cruised past 240 degrees in the hot water loop . The 007IFC was whistlin' Dixie . Piped in a bypass and all was well . I know temp was not a problem on your job , but just wanted to throw that out there .............. a mixing valve on a coil used for a hot water zone is a good thing :)
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Gate vs ball

Just curious why you used a gate valve in that spot versus using a ball valve?
This discussion has been closed.