Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood pellet boilers

Options
I have a client I am consulting with on radiant floor heating in an old mostly stone walled home in NE Ohio. Their home has no service for natural gas, propane gas cannot be delivered due to their steep drive to their site and the distance from their drive to the house. They currently have a fuel oil HW boiler that is shot. They are considering an electric boiler to avoid using fuel oil. I was considering recommending a wood pellet boiler as one alternative and I wondered if anyone has experience with them, good or bad. Any typical costs relative to fuel oil and electric boilers would be helpful. Who is repping and making them? Are the North American pellet boilers comparable to the European versions? I know wood pellet boilers are pretty popular in Europe. Thanks.

Ed S

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    just one

but it was much easier to run and maintain than a wood fired boiler.

I'd look for a gasification style they burn hot and clean. There seem to be more and more pellet producers in the market so fuel should be easier to find these days.

Here is a real nice pellet boiler that was on display at the REX show this summer. Also some pics from a pellet mill tour in NY
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.