Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping schematic

Options
digger_2
digger_2 Member Posts: 39
This is the piping schematic I drew up for my heating system upgrade. I currently heat the home with one 50gal water heater and a pump that comes on with a call for heat. I want to keep as many components of the new system separated from the non O2 barrier tubing as possible.

Does anyone care to comment? A lively debate would be better.

The boiler would be 80,000-17,000 with outdoor reset controlling the boiler water temperature.

Comments

• Randy Baerg
    Randy Baerg Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Piping comments

a few comments / ideas about your proposed piping:

1- You show your heating zones piped in primary-secondary which means that each one will be supplied with a progressively lower temperature (if all running). I would suggest piping them in parallel so they each get the same supply temp. each with a check valve and that also allows you to eliminate the extra loop pump.

2 - you have your boiler pump in the wrong location, you should locate it just past your air separator before the DHW tees.

3- your heat exchanger tees on the boiler loop should be placed right close together to eliminate the chance of the boiler pump forcing flow through the Hx.

There are of course other ways to do it. E.g. Zone valves instead of zone pumps. etc.
  • digger_2
    digger_2 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    revisions

I have made revisions. I am waiting for Dan's books to arrive before I submit these revisions for review .
This discussion has been closed.