Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alternatives to old/bulky steam radiators?

Options
shk
shk Member Posts: 4
Hello, looking for some ideas on steam radiators. I am replacing the old ones that have been in the house for over 30 years, because I'm extending the windows to the (almost) floor. Are there any modern/stylish options, beside cast iron baseboard? If yes, do you know how efficient they are? I think my old radiators had officially 10,000 BTUs.

Thank you in advance for any help and/or suggestions. SHK

Comments

• Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Efficient?

All radiators are 100% efficient.  Every BTU of steam that condenses in them, leaves them as heat.  Cast iron radiators or baseboard are really the best for steam heat, because they retain a lot of heat and release it to the room so evenly.  Their bulk and weight are the very things that allow them to work so well.  There are tubular steel "modern" radiators out there, but they get dead cold very quickly after the boiler stops steaming.  This leads to broader room  temperature swings and less comfort.  Can you possibly relocate your attractive, wonderful, durable old cast iron radiators somewhere besides under the windows?  If not, could you please drop them off at my house?  I could find use for two or three more of them.
  • Steam Radiators

Take a look at these. http://www.steamradiators.com/
  • Big-Al_2
    Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Nice Looking

Those "modern" radiators sure are sleek.  I even thought about using one of them in my downstairs bathroom. It's too bad they are made from relatively thin steel tubing, with very little thermal mass.  The room would be cold five minutes after the boiler shuts down.

Now here's a stylish radiator that will stay warm for a while . . . but I suspect that it's not what the OP had in mind . . .

http://www.burnham.com/products/baseboard-radiators/classic
  • shk
    Options
    Re: Efficient?

Thank you for your detailed answer. We're actually doing exactly what you suggested - we'll reuse the old radiators. Thank you :-)
  • shk
    Options
    Steam Radiators

Thank you very much - some of these look really nice, and love all the color options.
  • shk
    Options
    RE: Nice Looking

Thank you - beautiful! I also discovered that I have some of their cast iron baseboard in the basement.
  • Radiators

What type of steam system do you have? 

Also be aware if you are considering powder coating the radiators that it is important not to overheat them. There was somebody on here recently that had their radiators powder coated and apparently during the process, the radiators were heated to a high temperature (400 + degrees) to cure the powder coating. When the radiators were reinstalled they leaked badly apparently because the paper gaskets between the sections of each radiator were burned up in the 400 degree heat. Powder coating can be done without heating the radiators to high temperature  Just something to keep in mind if you are doing powder coating.
This discussion has been closed.