Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snowmelt sensor is in the wrong place!! any ideas?

Options
I have a 2 zone snowmelt sytem controlled by two seperate slab sensors and a tekmar d664  snowmelt controller. The primary slab sensor is a tekmar 090    that was placed near the garage (the concrn was that if placed in the middle of the slab, the horrific winds we have would bow the snow off of the sensor coupled with the fact that the homeowner and builder asked for an "inconspicuous location" the area chose will most likely see a lot of drifting and blown snow. The problem is, first snow out of the east (pretty rare ofr here) and no wind (even more rara) the sensor is near the garage on the west side of the house under an eave so no snow on the sensor. Homeowner upset that the boiler did not fire because the sensor did not detect the snow and wants a fix. My thought was to disconnect the leads from the existing 090 that are responsible for the moisture sensing, buy another 090 install it in an area (not near the slab) that will always see snow and hook its moisture sensing leads up to the control? The factory rep says this will not work and left it pretty much at that.  ANY IDEAS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Kev from Wyo

Comments

• Bucko
    Bucko Member Posts: 11
    Options
    ouch

Kev

The best is to relocate sensor by drilling a new hole near edge (inside tubes) by using a heat gun. Not easy but best solution. A pole sensor could enable your melt demand. Call tekmar if you need help. They have great support at factory.
  • Kevinwyo
    Kevinwyo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Solved?

Bucky,

Thanks for the reply! Not quite sure what you mean by drilling a hole with a heat gun? Could you please clarify?  Did contact tekmar prior to your response, pole sensor is on the way, I dont believe I'll have to move the existing sensor.

Thanks
  • Bucko
    Bucko Member Posts: 11
    Options
    oops

Sorry it was late.   Use heat gun to locate tubes so you don't hit pipes with cement bit.
This discussion has been closed.