Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navian

Dan_D
Dan_D Member Posts: 4
ANy good/ bad experiences with Navien tankless water heaters? is the circulator option a good idea? 98% eff. that's great but only if my customer ends up happy.

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    edited September 2009
    Installed four thus far

They are a well engineered and manufactured product with great product support. Navien America always does there homework. Make sure the application has constant water pressure and good water quality. Proper gas piping also is a must (may require a larger meter) The recirc pump and buffer tank give you more flexibility for spread out homes.

It is too soon to tell about reliability and durability as these unit are a new design.I do have a "Heating Box" system by Navien that is coming up on three years with zero problems.

Rich K.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    So Far So Good

I have a few of them in including one in my own house now for 14 months, they have all worked flawlessly, The A model with the tank uses a little energy for standby but one of the returns is that you dont need a minimum flow. The pump can be recirculated internally or used for a circulation line. They seem to be very clever, the price is right and the warranty is 15 years.Try it I think you will like it. They also make a nice repair kit with all the pieces that can fail. Worth getting after you start to get a few in.
  • Dan_D
    Navien

What state do you live in? MA gets down to 55 deg. cw temp in hte winter.
  • Dan_D
    Navien

Tony, what state do you live in? MA gets to 55 deg CW temp in the winter. 
  • Dan_D
    any problems with Pressure balance shower valves?

does the pressure balance shower valve have trouble keeoping up with vatriations in temp? or is the outlet temp stabel enough so it doesn't notice? any neg issues with pressure balance type shower valves?

thanks,
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    pressure balance shower valves

When I built my photo darkroom, I wanted a valve that would hold the temperature +|- 1/2F. To do that you need a valve that has two stages: the first is a pressure balancer, and the second stage has a thermo capsule like a car thermostat to hold the temperature. Now you could probably tolerate +|- 1F in a shower. But in any case, I would think a pressure balance only valve would be unsatisfactory because even if the pressure of the hot and cold water in the house were always the same, as the temperature of the hot water varied +|-  5F, that swing would produce unacceptable variations of the output temperature.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    I live in PA

my water is 57 degrees from my well. I have pressure balance valves in both showers and they work fine with the Navien. I do have a constant pressure pump and when I install Naviens on pump systems I will install a cycle stop on the pump. They are inexpensive and I have found them to be better than a constant pressure pump. Here is a website http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/.  I would suspect with any 30-50 or 40-60 pump switch you would cause any tankless to hunt. So I dont think constant pressure systems are for Navien alone. I would suspect all tankless water heaters would be better served by constant pressure...for that matter so is the whole pluming system.
This discussion has been closed.