Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condenser fan overheating

I was helping a friend of mine replace a compressor but after it was done the fan motor kept tripping on thermal overload what could me causing this.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    lots of possibilities

Could be the new motor is under sized and can't handle the amp draw. Did you check the amperage draw against the nameplate?

Make sure the fan blade went in the right way and in the right position. Make sure the capacitor is good. Make sure the wiring is correct. Could also just be a bad motor, though that would be kind of rare.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Please clarify

In your post, you mentioned that you helped a friend replace the compressor on a unit and after this the condenser fan motor goes out on thermal overload.

Just to clarify some terms in case you are not familiar with them. On a central air conditioning system, the outdoor unit is the condensing unit. The condensing unit consists of the compressor, the condenser coil and the condenser fan motor.

What you are implying in your post is that you replaced one component and after that another component failed to operate correctly.

Is that correct? I want to make certain that we are all on the same page before I give you my take on the situation.
  • Biged
    Biged Member Posts: 117
    Condenser fan overheating

the fan was new and was replaced before the compressor. He said when he got there the fan for some reason was wedged on the condenser unit housing and supposedly burnt out and so was replaced. after he started the unit the compressor started making a lot of noise and since it was under warranty he opted to replace which is when I came into the picture. because after everthing was done the fan kept going off on thermal overload.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    BigEd

Ed,....Something does not make sense....  Assuming you have a dual capacitor, make sure it is connected as per wiring diagram.  As mentioned above, check cap, wiring and get some measurements as to what you are seeing.   Example:  Cond fan Name plate ratting/Actual amps,.....Comp RLA and name plate ratting.  Is your compressor a recip or scroll?  The more info the better in order to assist. 

What I'm reading, is your comp was replaced, then the fan, but you also notice the compressor making weird sounds.  Please try to rewright you topic from the beginning.  Thanks

Mike T.

Mike T.
  • Biged
    condenser fan overheating

I'm sorry to say my friend opted to recommend to the homeowner to replace that condenser which they did. I'm sure both he and myself would have learnt something but he chose the easy way out not to mention the more expensive. But I'll continue to pursue a possible cause.(the fan blades were in bad shape so it could have been pulling more air than it was design to pull.)
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Wow

So Ed we purchased and installed a condenser fan motor, then we purchased and replaced a compressor?. Finally we scraped the whole system and replaced it? Hope the customer is chilling by now.
  • Biged
    condenser fan overheating

yes they are chilling now but I ask my friend for the "old" condenser and he gave it to me so hopefully some day I'll figure out what was wrong.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Chillin

So you got a free compressor out of the deal. Maybe.
This discussion has been closed.