Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water line top or bottom

copper
copper Member Posts: 2
On a hot water radiator can you have one pipe at the top and the pipe on the other side at the bottom ? And if so witch pipe is the inlet and outlet ? If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• eComfortUSA
    eComfortUSA Member Posts: 11
    re:water line top or bottom

Hello.

In theory i don't see any big problems as long as you have air vent( air bleeder) on top of the radiator you should be fine. I guess you have pumps on the system, so it should work just fine. I am sorry but why you want to connect this way?

Thank you

Victor
    eComfortUSA
  • copper
    copper Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2009
    re: Why connect this way?

I bought used raidiators, this is the way that they are set up, and i cant get the plug out of the bottom hole.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    I think I remember

I think that I remember (and I could Be wrong) the a frequent poster (maybe radiator ranger) had posted thermal imaging on the effects of different connections. My understanding of flow through rads and so-forth I would say that Ir you connect the supply to the lower side that the rad should heat fine no matter if it is pumped or not. hope this helps.
    Life is Good !! Enjoy it !!
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    rads

Search for "radiator ranger's postings on thermal images of some rads..  They were some great thermal pictures of different piping.  Top/bottom etc...  I have four rads that I connected bottom to bottom.  I took a IR thermonitor reading and the bottom was cooler than the tops.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    yes you can,

and the downfeed hot water systems were plumbed that way.. We use an electric impact wrench to remove those stubborn plugs..If you can't get the plug out then inlet at top and outlet at bottom would work, but you may have to bleed the air out of the radiator more than once and more frequently than if you plumbed it into the bottoms.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.