Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off to Antartica!

Options
Rich L_5
Rich L_5 Member Posts: 3
Hey guys,

I'm starting a new job next week working on refrigeration equipment in Antartica! It's in support of the National Science Foundation's activities there. I'll be "stationed" at McMurdo Station, a former military base. I'll be working on everything from a huge refrigerated warehouse they use to store food for the year to the ice cream machine in the dining hall! I may get a chance to help the boiler techs work on the heating systems as well. Anybody have experience working on boilers that run on #5 jet fuel? Seroiusly! Man I can't wait to see some of this stuff!!!

Dan H, I know you're quite the book worm. Check out the book "Ice Bound". I read it earlier this summer and that's what started it all!

We'll stay in touch!

Rich L

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Have a ball!

And stay in touch. Carol Fey did that last winter and I enjoyed her posts and photos. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options
    Antarctica

So you're the new Frosty Boy.  You'll be everyone's favorite person, keeping the ice cream machine (Frosty Boy brand) going.  It freezes up a lot.  Last season I was in the same dept you're in as a furnace mechanic.  Surprisingly, using jet fuel doesn't make much difference over fuel oil.   I'll be back at McMurdo a month from now as an emergency communications person this time, and I'll look for you.
This discussion has been closed.