Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

too much heat

Options
robb
robb Member Posts: 1
I pretty much designed my own radiant floor heating system for my home (my first!).  I have an outdoor wood boiler running a continuous loop into my house.  my only real problem is too much passive flow of hot water into my heating zones when the circulators are not running.  what type of thermostatically controlled swithc/valve do I need to close the zones when the circulators are not running? I'm sure this is causing my to burn more wood, as well as get too much heat in the house when it's not called for. I would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Do you have Flow Check valves in there?

Do you use circulator(s) like Taco's IFC models? If not, do you have Flow Check valves such as Taco's? Depending on the pipe size, you may need a Flow Check in the return as well as in the supply of each zone.

But what happens to the heat produced by the wood boiler when the zones are shut off? If you cut off the air to the boiler, you have big trouble too. Some people put in a storage tank and run the boiler flat out until the wood is gone. This heats up the storage tank. When the house feels cold, it turns on the circulators from the tank to the zones.
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options
    dump heat

JD- exactly right. I had a wood boiler once and it always popped off until I set up a high temp dump. Without storage you have to open a window.
This discussion has been closed.