Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best strategy for combined heating / cooling thermostat

Options
I wonder if there are any ready-made solutions out there to allow individual thermostats control zone actuators on radiant manifolds. I'm considering having our control system and near-boiler piping redone to use better pumps, zone actuators instead of pumps, etc.

Ideally, we'd simply reduce our heating/cooling thermostat needs from the present Tekmar / Lennox combination to just using the Lennox thermostats. However, the Lennox thermostats are apparently not built to handle the power loads that multiple zone actuators turning on at once would impose - i.e. some sort of isolation is required.

I have looked at the Taco stuff, which doesn't seem to perfectly fit my bill. Specifically, I am looking for an 24VAC isolated-input relay board that can switch up to 40VA of zone actuators at 24VAC/VDC. I suppose there may be some relay board kits on the web, but I would prefer to present my contractor with a ready-made solution, if possible.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Thermostats

You can use these with a Taco Zone Control. How many acuators are we talking about?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Up to 3 or 4 zone actuators per zone, I think...

... I have to go through the house to be sure. Which Taco zone controller is it? I thought I'd looked through their site and didn't see anything.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    With the new Site

I am unable to post PDF attachements so I cant send you specs to check out. Uponor (Wirsbo) make a heat/cool state that should work just fine. They also make a zone control that you can use. You do have to add a seperate transformer though. I pretty sure you should be able to use a taco ZVC zone control also.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    The people who built the site

explained how PDF files posted on bulletin boards can bring in viruses, so we skipped that option.
    Retired and loving it.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    In understand

My only thought is that if we are trying to share an installation manual, spec sheet, wirirng diagram, etc everyone on the thread would have to e-mail you to get it. in order to see your thought as stated in your post. Like above of example...Maybe another contractor after reading the spec sheets may find it helpful to them or maybe he has an opinion on it.  Just my 2 cents.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    If you send it to me

I can check it and put it in the Library. We could link to it from here. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Taco, ZVC406-EXP

After reading your thread, I cannot see why the Taco ZVC406-EXP would not work.  The zone valve control is a great facilitator for wiring thermostats, and corresponding zonevalves, or actuators.  These controls are commonly used in many HVAC applications, and are expandable up to 20 zones.  Great feature when using outdoor reset, or prioritizing DHW> 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    You are, of course, correct

I looked in the wrong section, switching relays not the zone valve control. Many thanks!
This discussion has been closed.