Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Boiler repair or replace?

Rob W
Rob W Member Posts: 1
I'd like some advice on repairing or replacing my boiler. I have a Burnham RSA series steel oil boiler that has a crack in the chamber and it is only a matter of time before it burns through the back (outer casing on rear is showing burn marks). I've recieved a quote to repair the boiler by replacing the chamber and base and repairing the sheet metal on the rear for $1000. My other option is to obviously replace the boiler with a newer more efficient model at the cost of $6000 or more. Is it worth repairing the boiler, which is over 10 years old? Does anyone have any experience with repairs on this type of burnham boiler? Do you think I would get another 10 years out of it or am I wasting $$$ repairing it?

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541

When you consider the increased efficiency with a better unit,it's not worth repairing
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

The short answer is yes, higher efficient systems will reap rewards in savings, home value, and comfort.
  • Brian_76
    Brian_76 Member Posts: 1
    Repair or replace

You should keep in mind that a steel boiler is a 20 year boiler in the best of circumstances. The damage was probably caused by service tech pushing the cleanout brush into the chamber from the top, a typical problem on this Burnham. If money is an issue, repair. But keep in mind that if you get a cast iron boiler, your'e getting better efficiency, more reliablity and a 30 year boiler. I would always push for the change out, the repair might not last and you'll still need a new boiler.

• Good advice from Brian. I could not have said it better.
    Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I agree- replace the boiler

a new 3-pass cast-iron boiler will run rings around that old steel one. If you like Burnham, their 3-pass is called the MPO.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    definite replacement

If it was a "V" series, or even an "RS" series, i'd say do the repair if cash is an issue, but th "RSA" is a bottom line boiler, and you'd be throwing good money after bad JMO. peace
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322

I vote for replace but do not get driven simply by the cheapest price. make sure the new boiler will be sized correctly to the home and that it is of better quality than the unit you are replacing. Just because it is new does not make it better and just because it is a top of the line boiler does not mean it will be installed well. Piped as per manufacturer's specifications and sized properly to the home and the heat loss for your region.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • I'm with the \" replace \" crowd

We install the RSA boiler from time to time . But I'd go for a cast iron upgrade . More efficient and it will last longer than a dry base steel boiler .
This discussion has been closed.