Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Base Ray

Supply House Rick
Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
What would be your recommendation for shortening a leangth of base ray. The base ray is about 40 years old, and it has to be shortened by about 5 feet. I know it is assembled by push nipples in sections, but once it comes apart is it going to go back together leak free.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    PROBABLY with a little luck.

you will need new push nipples & a baseboard tool......and the skill level to do the job. not that hard but a little tricky. & DON'T FORGET THE PERMATEX
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Base Ray

Use new push nipples. If old sections wire wheel CI on drill with very soft (possibly brass) wheel. Clean with laquer thinner. Thin coat with hi temp silicone. Tap and wrench together flat on blocks on floor. It's a nice feel...wrench tension turns at each tap on the end with a wood block. Come on it's not rocket science, just common sense.

Carefully lift into position, mount, and you have a leak free BB joint.
  • tom big tom big!!

Tombig still alive and kicking!?! When am I gonna see ya atwhite sox game?
  • Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248
    baseray

I installed a lot of used baseray in my own house. I did all of the above.....permatex wire wheel new push nipples and some of them still leaked. I had about 3 or four minor leaks that stopped on their own but one if them hasn't stopped after 4 or 5 months and I'm srarting to think it;s not going to. Even if I pull it out again I don't know what else I can do to stop it. The only ones that have leaked are old pieces going on to new pieces so maybe you will be ok with 2 old pieces.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Sometimes a section is cracked, hairline and hard to see

We have done hundreds of feet of baseray and usually comes apart and goes together just fine with new push nips, clean ports up and use nipple lube. Good luck
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Base Hit

try a can of hercules " BASE HIT " you could get lucky. definitely worth a shot. i have seen it work on a similiar situation.
This discussion has been closed.