Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New York City question (Condensate discharge temps) ME

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
150 degree is max unless it was changed by new code. city mains cast iron , clay [ vitreous china ] or concrete. 180* ok for indirect for dishwasher

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    What does the code say, and why?

I have a person who is asking me how he can reduce his water bill on a system that gets its steam from ConEd. It was my understanding that the 140 max discharge limit was based on the use of Orangeburg (asphaltic based piping) pipes in the drains. Are the city mains in NY something other than Orangeburg that could withstand a higher temperature?

Also, is anyone in NY (JohnNY?) interested in providing a bid for wste heat recovery off of a condensate system (DHW pre heat)?

TIA

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Thanks Bob,

It use to be 140 for Denver. So, if the building sewer is not orangeburg, can you see a reason for dilution water being introduced into the condensate stream to cool it? One it hits the city main, I am SURE it will be cooled by the upstream effluent. No? Other than the obvious waste of BTU's, the consequential waste of our most precious resource (water) seems silly...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • bob young
    Options
    condensate drainage

i agree. as long as its not more than 150 degrees , i would say no further dilution would be necessary. i checked the code book & see no other regulation related to that. always a local law is a possiblity though. i do not know of any orangeburg in nyc . asbestos cement maybe ----but thats another story. i will check the new code book tomorrow when i get to the office.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    condensate

We were always taught to keep our temp below 150 degrees in our buildings, I remember Con Ed telling us about this in a seminar a while back, Alot of buildings in NYC send the condensate through some kind of heat exchanger (water heater) before pumping in into the city sewer. I am looking into installing a water meter on my cw domestic line that tempers the hot condensate to keep track of it, rumer is NYC water rates are going up as well. Mark E. any trips planned to NYC for a seminar anytime in the near future?
  • bob young
    Options
    I.P.C.

nyc adapted to I.P.C. code recently , Mark , so i guess we are now at 140 * in n.y.c.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,921
    Options
    Johnny is Out of Town right now, Mark, but I'm sure he'd be

interested. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.