Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If the hot water tank ain't broke, replace it anyway?!

jeanRR
jeanRR Member Posts: 37
First, thanks very much for all the help I have received so far on this forum. My computer burps, so I wasn't able to express my appreciation last time. Thank you all!

Question: My boiler contractor wants to replace my indirect water tank (7 years past warranty and still working well) when he replaces my oil boiler. Should I go ahead and let him replace a working water tank to the tune of $1800?

Jean

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    tank replacement

Jean, I would say no personally. What make and model indirect do you have? I installed my Amtrol in 1984 and it is still going strong. The teens have put it to the test for years. If there is no sign of leakage, roll the dice? peace
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Boiler Replacement

What model and age boiler do you presently have? Why is it being replaced and what are you replacing it with?
  • troy_8
    troy_8 Member Posts: 109
    Jean

If it is an Amtrol- feel the outside of the blue tank. Look for exterior cancers coming through the tank. We have replaced so many old Amtrols that I have made a habit of feeling the tank when I service the boiler. These tanks tend to leak around the liner and the tank gets hot. The hot tank is simply an indicator that the tank is going to give up. Next you see water on the floor and then I usually see a stream squirting across the room from the big blue. If the tank isn't hot I would not touch it. The only indirects we have replaced has been the Amtrol brand. We have been installing Indirects since the early 90's. BUUUTT- He may have a reason- he is there we are not. You need a why.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Why???

I agree with Troy. What are his reasons for wanting to replace it? As billtwocase indicated some of these units can last 30 plus years. Another consideration is a do you have a finished or unfinished basement? Is there a drain or sump pump nearby? If there are no obvious problems the unit could last another seven days or seven years. Possibly posting his reasons for wanting to replace it will help us advise you better. Stop list

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Life is Good !! Enjoy it !!
  • billtwocase
    good points JK

Anything can go at anytime, I have not seen the failure rate of Amtrol that Troy has though. I've replaced more Thermaflow, Vaugn, Superstor, Bradford White, and even Buderus indirects due to leakers. You just never know. peace
  • 30 plus years ?

Yow ....... People are lucky to get 10 to 15 out of a run of the mill indirect around these parts .

This is a marginal call . 7 years past warantee ............

Sooner or later the tank is gonna leak . If there's a discount involved for changing the tank at the same time they're doing the boiler , I'd give it some consideration .
  • billtwocase
    Ron

I have a gun fired Gould water heater still going over 40 years old. Good water i guess?
  • Gould ?

I never heard of it . A few months ago we pulled out a TR Phase 3 with a date code of 1983 .

We changed a gas heater today . The customer said it was close to 30 years old . I'll check the date code tomorrow . The longest lasting oil fired heaters we come across are rear flue Fords .

It's sad to say but we get more time out of electric heaters converted to agauboosters . Compared to SS indirects .
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    mostly amtrol

Most of the indirects that I have replaced over the years have been amtrols but in this area most of the indirects are amtrols. I just recently replaced a 22 year old amtrol that was covered under the warranty. Original owner, installed when home was built, original paperwork. Customer had to pay handling charge and installation.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Life is Good !! Enjoy it !!
  • billtwocase
    water heaters

You just can't buy that kind of endurance these days Ron. Ask George, he may remember Gould. If he worked on their boilers, he will still have a bad taste in his mouth for them though. The Ford was a Carlin product. They were among the best, so was Texaco, and the old Everhot. Back to Amtrol, besides the rolled coil design mess that occured late 80's early 90's, and the Smart control manufactures, they have served well, and they have always been good with me on warranty issues. That alone can sell a product if the manufacture is willing to stand behind their equipment. Ron, i still have some Monel propane water heaters out there from the 40's!!! peace
This discussion has been closed.