Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEERLESS BOILER

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
I NEED TO BID A JOB TO RETRO-FIT A PEERLESS 3 SECT OIL FIRED BOILER W/ COIL WITH A NEW GAS GUN. POSSIBLE ? FEASIBLE ? boiler one year old , small one family .

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    conversion

Bob, it is possible with a gas conversion burner, but not practical. Best to convert boiler and all. I have coverted many back to oil due to lack of efficiency and running cost when this was done. With this new Peerless boiler in place, i'd look to save elsewhere. Sounds like they'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water. What #'s are the unit giving? I find them running 85% average. not bad for a pin boiler with a coil. I'd get then an indirect, the ODR or Heat Manager. They will save some cash. Is there gas in the house already? Another thing to consider when it comes down to brass tacks. peace
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    We've had good results

with the Carlin EZ-Gas or Midco EC series power gas burners in similar types of boilers. Unlike a lot of earlier gas guns, these are flame-retention burners that can easily replace a flame-retention oil burner. Haven't done a Peerless though, is this the EC or WBV?

We prefer using a power gas burner in a wet-base boiler for gas. The thermal efficiency of this combination is 6-7% better than a typical atmospheric gas boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    thanks gents

I believe it is an ec, Frank. i will check it out probably tomorrow. bidding against the gas company so it could go either way. their pricing is extremely erratic. will it be ok with the coil ? the owner wants to keep it & will not listen to any logic whatsoever. had a puff back on the oil & just wants it gone. sometimes ya give them what they want. haven't done a conversion since the early eighties. we used abc sunray & adams units. always hated the econimite.
  • Did a conversion with a Midco

before the heating season , in a Peerless WBV3 .

With the Beckett it took 9 minutes to go from street water temp to 180 .

Took 11 minutes to do the same with the Midco .

They have not complained about lack of hot water , but we did install an aquabooster with the gas gun .
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    well said Ron

Kind of case and point. Minutes add up to dollars in the long run. peace
  • bob young
    thanks Ron.

i know you are the king of peerless
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Minutes

are meaningless unless the inputs are the same
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77

Either burner, excellent choice and far more economical than trashing a year old boiler. I would still add an indirect and a modulating control to the unit at the same time.
  • Inputs

were within 5,000 btus of each fuel .

I stated the run times becuase there's a coil doing the hot water . Which should be ok with the gas gun .
  • bob young
    input rating

would you not use same imput for oil or gas if possible , Robert ? or as close as possible . the load would be the same, no ?
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Peerless conversion

Anyone seen or used the new Beckett gas burners yet? Having been oil for so long I am looking forward to see how they do on the gas side of things.
  • jimmac_2
    jimmac_2 Member Posts: 1
    midco

have put many in peerless great start ups you should expect to see 81% if you taking a gun from the grid (hardly a bargin anymore) you will be asking for EC200 folow the book set up and work from there ...did same one not to long ago on a three with coil very happy customer
This discussion has been closed.