Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Red Lion Timer for Boiler

Options
Frank_63
Frank_63 Member Posts: 40
I've read posts on this board about hooking up a Red Lion timer to the gas valve of the boiler to measure the amount of gas used just by the boiler. My gas meter also is hooked to my hot water tank.

I was talking about this with someone who would help me install it, and he suggested just hooking it up to the wire in the t-stat that calls for heat. Is that an acceptable alternative? It might save me from having to go into the basement whenever I wantedt to get a reading.

Comments

• Doug_7
    Doug_7 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Red Lion

I use Red Lion CUB7T100 Timers that time whenever a 10 to 300 volt signal is detected. They are connected to the 24 vac gas valve of the ON-OFF boilers and hot-water tank in the boiler room. Allows me to do a "heat balance" on the building.

Red Lions could be connected elsewhere - as long as they are able detect a voltage signal equivalent to a call for heat.

If your thermostat is supplying a voltage on a call for heat - then that would work. If your thermostat is only supplying a contact closure - hmmm. There are other Red Lion models that time on contact closure, such as CUB7T000 - but I don't use them.

Doug
  • Frank_63
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks. Your posts are what I was thinking about. I'll make sure to check it out. I have a Honeywell VisionPro t-stat.
  • Joannie_15
    Joannie_15 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Remember

The call for heat from the thermostat is there all the time the space is calling. Your boiler does not run that whole time. The boiler turns on and off during the call for heat, so hooking that up to the thermostat will not tell you how much the gas valve is energized.
  • Frank_63
    Options
    Good Point

This is why I post these questions. There are obvious things that I overlook that others don't. The vaporstat or pressuretrol will turn off the boiler due to pressure. Thanks.
  • Frank_63
    Options
    Burner Capacity

Is burner capacity the same as MBH per hour? I'm looking at the literature for my Burhnam IN 11. If so, do I use MBH input (349) or output (287.92)?
  • Doug_7
    Doug_7 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Burner Capacity

Burner capacity is the same as MBH per hour. That is the amount of fuel used when firing.

The output is less because of efficiency and heat losses. The efficiency works out to 82.5% at steady state - full firing.

The actual overall efficiency will be less when the burner is cycling OFF and ON.

Red Lion firing hours x 349,000 Btu / Hour = Fuel used.

Doug
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Got It

thanks.
This discussion has been closed.