Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New DOE boiler standards

Options
allenh
allenh Member Posts: 117
as a property manager my thoughts are...
Depreciation should be eliminated for anything that is more efficient i.e. reduces fossil fuel consumption. 27.5 years is way too long. We all know that few of the newer systems would last that long!
The environmentalist activists could start a fund. And those funds be lent to everyone at a very low interest rate to do upgrades of heating systems. And have the savings be applied to paying off the loan. It would thus be replenishing the initial funds. It would create jobs. And it would lower emissions.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    New DOE boiler standards

SEC. 303. RESIDENTIAL BOILERS.

Section 325(f) of the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (42 U.S.C. 6295(f)) is amended--

(1) in the subsection heading, by inserting ‘and Boilers’ after ‘Furnaces’;

(2) by redesignating paragraph (3) as paragraph (4); and

(3) by inserting after paragraph (2) the following:

‘(3) BOILERS-

‘(A) IN GENERAL- Subject to subparagraphs (B) and (C), boilers manufactured on or after September 1, 2012, shall meet the following requirements:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boiler Type Minimum Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency Design Requirements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gas Hot Water 82% No Constant Burning Pilot, Automatic Means for Adjusting Water Temperature

Gas Steam 80% No Constant Burning Pilot

Oil Hot Water 84% Automatic Means for Adjusting Temperature

Oil Steam 82% None

Electric Hot Water None Automatic Means for Adjusting Temperature

Electric Steam None None

‘(B) AUTOMATIC MEANS FOR ADJUSTING WATER TEMPERATURE-

‘(i) IN GENERAL- The manufacturer shall equip each gas, oil, and electric hot water boiler (other than a boiler equipped with a tankless domestic water heating coil) with automatic means for adjusting the temperature of the water supplied by the boiler to ensure that an incremental change in inferred heat load produces a corresponding incremental change in the temperature of water supplied.

‘(ii) SINGLE INPUT RATE- For a boiler that fires at 1 input rate, the requirements of this subparagraph may be satisfied by providing an automatic means that allows the burner or heating element to fire only when the means has determined that the inferred heat load cannot be met by the residual heat of the water in the system.

‘(iii) NO INFERRED HEAT LOAD- When there is no inferred heat load with respect to a hot water boiler, the automatic means described in clauses (i) and (ii) shall limit the temperature of the water in the boiler to not more than 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

‘(iv) OPERATION- A boiler described in clause (i) or (ii) shall be operable only when the automatic means described in clauses (i), (ii), and (iii) is installed.

‘(C) EXCEPTION- A boiler that is manufactured to operate without any need for electricity or any electric connection, electric gauges, electric pumps, electric wires, or electric devices shall not be required to meet the requirements of this paragraph.’.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Thank you Robert, and this is NOT meant to reflect on you, but..

This is GARBAGE.

IMHO, the only reason "THEY" didn't adopt higher standards is because all of the boiler/furnace manufacturers were worried about what they would do with the back log of the boat anchors running in the eighties that they had already built.

Our gutless Federal Gubernmint at work, cowtowing to the people with money, ignoring the fact that there is a much greater conservation potential that is HERE TODAY and being employed by contractors like US.

THe $1500.00 tax credit for high efficiency retrofits is a step in the right direction. A baby step nonetheless, but at least it is a step in the right direction. Now, if THEY would just grow some cajones, and require a minimum of 90% thermal efficiencies for ALL boilers (yes, steam included) we could put some people to work, reducing our carbon footprint by a minimum of 30%, employ people and save money and energy.

Maybe the boiler/furnace industry needs to step up to the podium and ask for a bail out, subsidizing their losses for all the boat anchors they have in inventory. Seems to be the thing to do these days...

I've been applying 90+ efficient boilers for over 10 years now... I think the technology is proven...

Again, thank you for sharing this information.

The soap box is now free....

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Its a start

At least the government will be requiring outdoor reset, or some other means to set heat input vs. heat load for hot water systems. That in itself is a major step forward.

I am not sure I want the goverment telling me what type of boiler I can install. There still may be situations where a CI boiler may be preferable, and the homeowner and contractor should be able to make that informed decision without governmental interference. Giving incentives for high efficiency is one thing, mandating it blindly is another.

Maybe an energy allowance per family is a better way to go? Is it rational to let people build 20,000 sq. ft homes with 2 MBTU's of modcons (as described in a current posting "Solo 399 boilers"), yet prohibit the owner of a modest home to install a CI 80K BTU boiler?
  • SusanC
    SusanC Member Posts: 106
    Options
    How? and...

How do you propose to make the steam systems a minimum of 90% efficient? As for one aspect, there's barely enough water in the new boilers now, especially when incorporated in old, old systems. Some day, when we're all dead, there will be no residential steam systems, except for those Mad Dog has built from scratch, so the residential steam efficiency problem will be solved.

Also, I guess you are an 100% proponent of the more problematic electric ignition.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Change?

I don't see much change. The way I read it you can't run a "hot" boiler over 140º. You need a two stage thermostat with the first stage controlling the pump and the second the burner, ala 1960's IBR. You can't have a standing pilot unless it's powerpile. Also if you have gravity hot water with powerpile you're good to go.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Brien
    Options
    Susan

You're joking about standing pilots,right?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    ME

Don't hold back! I basically feel as you do and that's why I posted this,that and the incredible lack of press this has gotten.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    Mike

I agree with as little government intervention as possible.But if it weren't mandated would there be seatbelts and airbags in most cars today?
  • Powerpile?

I am not sure powerpile will qualify as an exception. The requirement states no electric devices or electric wires allowed. Powerpile is a thermoelectric generator connected to a electrical solenoid operated gas valve. How would you connect these together without wires? How would you connect a room thermostat, which is an electrical device to the system without wires?
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    Good questions.

As usual, the standards can detrimentally over simplify reality. Boiler--control--actual heat loss--actual heat load--heat load profile: These all make the system and how effectively we use our energy. I think setting standards for improvement over a standard baseline for each heating medium is reasonable until near-theoretical maximum efficiency is reached.

Furthermore, designing to specific mandates can unintentionally close a really big door on whole fields of creative solutions that will become unallowable under narrow mandates. This, of course, is foolish but very often the bureaucratic way.

Beyond that, an ever more stringent single standard will require extraordinarily costly retrofits to heating systems and buildings without addressing actual energy usage. Ultimately a good but narrow standard taken to extremes results in waste, and worst of all, the waste of buildings, materials and systems of irreplaceable quality. It can even damage transitional urban neighborhoods when its discovered that the cost of retrofits results in destruction of older structures and neighborhoods in favor of new construction elsewhere and immensely wasteful sprawl.

I have my own questions and hypotheticals regarding the long term impact of boiler efficiency standards and implications for specific heating media:

Will that 92% mandated HW boiler ever condense in the application and installation? Does a high mass radiant system allow any room temperature setback? Can the 86% steamer with full modulation bring a space up to temperature so quickly that setbacks are practical? Which building uses less energy then?

If you've heavily insulated your steam heated house and have at least two mains coming off the header and you then install a boiler sized only for one zone operation at a time, can we use an nice PID controller to cycle each zone in sequence based on pressure gradients across each main and room temperature setpoints? Which building uses less energy then?

Supposing we now effectively downsize existing radiation with inlet restrictors the way we did in the "vapor system era" or control single pipe with piped vents the way we did in the "Paul vapor era?" Can we now modulate steam supply pressures to some extent based on outdoor temperatures to provide steam at higher pressure and temperature only when heat demand is greatest?

Visualize modern public spaces and institutional settings with lower thermal mass, good insulation and lower mass heat emitters. Can steam be a more appropriate heating medium in these modern spaces where individual room occupancy sensors are used and fast recovery times significantly reduce mean space temperatures?

Can modern steam be utilized the way the SelecTemp system was designed using unimaginably small supply and return lines made of refrigeration copper? [its in the Library. Look under "resources" to get to the library, look under "unusual systems"] Wouldn't we wind up with small pipe diameters, ultra low pick-up factor requirements and low materials and installation costs? Examples of this rare system seen today have proven that the materials hold up well. Can't we use return temp sensors to modulate steam pressure instead of using steam traps at every radiator?

And for the manufacturers: Is latent heat recovery for small steam boilers really economically out of reach in the long term? Is the "super boiler" 94% heat extraction technique scaleable? If so, wouldn't such a steam boiler would operate at 94% at all times, even when a condensing HW boiler wouldn't be condensing or condensing much? Wouldn't making instantaneous steam DHW would look attractive too?

I have a good idea that the answers to all these questions affirm that generating steam for space and water heating has a valid place in the long term big picture of total energy conservation.

Mandates of crushing inflexibility will make all of the above unallowable. Then what have we achieved with our good intentions? IMO, dogma has never saved anything, let alone the planet. I think the stakes are too high to "outlaw everything except X."

I think the idea of setting goals for total energy use for a structure based on occupancy, type and expected heat loss for the volume of the structure is a good way to go. Take arial thermal images. Or actual fuel and electric usage. This would force results, not just specific out-of-context actions. Let the all technologies compete. Let people alter wasteful lifestyles in ways appropriate for them.

I forget who said it, but the point has long been made that increasing the efficiency of something usually doesn't result in less energy used. People simply consume more of it since its cheaper to use. CFL's? Great. Now all the lights in the house are left on. Radiant heating? Now the whole house is 72 degrees 24/7 with minimal occupancy.

We can do better on boiler efficiency and we should. But lets stop before it becomes a distraction from our actual goals.

-Terry
    terry
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    Terry

" but the point has long been made that increasing the efficiency of something usually doesn't result in less energy used. People simply consume more of it since its cheaper to use.'

I believe that is what happened in the UK when the condensing only rule was brought in
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    (C) EXCEPTION

‘(C) EXCEPTION- A boiler that is manufactured to operate without any need for [external] electricity or any [external] electric [power] connection, electric gauges, electric pumps, electric [power] wires, or electric devices shall not be required to meet the requirements of this paragraph.’.

I took this to be specifically intended to mean thermopile steam or gravity hot water systems, where "electricity" was understood to be externally supplied/connected, power not level, not pilot or signal level (e.g. 750 mV from a powerpile integral to the boiler to to a remote thermostat).

I would admit the insertion of the word "exernal" or "power", etc. in a couple key locations might have been helpful, for I do not believe the primary intent was to hand fired solid fueled (coal, wood, etc.) boilers w/ mechanical linkage type damper controls, though clearly they too would be permitted by this clause.

Whether standing pilot, off the grid (the boiler, not necessarily the structure to be heated), gas fueled boilers should be allowed is another question.

In general. I read it with relief... NOT! For we've moved to late 1970's state of the art! (sigh). Perhaps tax credits are a better way however to encourage installation of higher efficiency systems, at least in the replacement market, though other parts of the tax code could perhaps apply to builders, so that new construction too might get something more than the minimum available.
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Steam...

is going to be a bigger problem than hot water to bring up in efficiency, at least for boilers of the scale of a residential or small commercial heating system. Abandon atmospheric draft gas for power burners in wet based combo oil/gas fired boilers perhaps, but there's not much of anywhere to go after that (at least when steaming, domestic hot water in non heat season may have some more wiggle room).
  • Exception

It appears that the non-electric boiler exception applies only to the need for automatic control of water temperature ("the paragraph"), although as you say, it really should have been worded more clearly.

There is no mention that a standing pilot is allowed in the non-electric or any other case for gas, so powerpile may essentially prohibited.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Susan, obviously you missed this thread:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&&Message_ID=445233&_#Message445233

90%+ IS possible in a steam boiler. It's been done in large units, now we need to scale the technology to residential sizes. And of course, it has NOT been done by an American boiler manufacturer yet. That doesn't reflect well on us.....

I'm sure steam systems will still be out there long after we're all dead. They were built well enough to make such a lifespan possible. Since the 1950s, naysayer after naysayer has predicted the same as you, and we still have plenty of steam.

Oh, and the guys who would tell the lady with a broken steam boiler that her only course of action is a complete system tear-out and replacement? We have a name for them- CROOKS. And that does not distinguish between crooked contractors and crooked government hacks. It doesn't need to.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Mark....

Weren't you the one who at one point railed against the cost calculations that the government was allowing you for overhead on a job you were proposing? Now that the government announces that it cannot justify a condensing standard for boilers, the laws aren't tough enough? Be careful what you wish for...

Bottom line is, until regional standards were enacted, justifying high minimum standards for the whole country re: any HVAC appliance was usually not possible. Just as the South doesn't need a lot of heating, the North doesn't need as much cooling. Congress recently enacted a law allowing DOE to consider regional standards, which may or may not have a significant impact on HVAC appliances going forward. Time will tell.

However, in the meantime, why not get involved? The Wall has so many subject matter experts for many appliance categories... and consider that the only stakeholders they usually interact with are manufacturers and environmental advocates. You guys could inject an important point of view, i.e. the one of the folk in the field that install and maintain some of the appliances under review. Getting involved is easy, the EERE appliance standards website lists them for each program manager by rulemaking.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    tanklesss??

looks like they are still going to allow tankless oil boilers for homes THAT is just nuts. Susuan you really wheren't serious about keeping pilot boilers where you? todays electronic ignitions are no more troublesome than a pilot.

i think that the oil lobby ereally blew it on the tax credits no creadit on less than 90% and no 90%ers untill the fuel is changed. if they raelly wanted to clean things up why didn't they mandate low sulphur on raod diesel as heating fuel???.
  • SusanC
    SusanC Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Widespread Steam Efficiency 90+

Thanks; no, I hadn't seen that thread and now have only glanced through it. One of my points is that, in the current and near future time, it will be pretty difficult to achieve this efficiency widespread in old steam systems. Once the more efficient small residential boiler is perfected and readily available, I guess maybe the 90+ efficiency will be attainable. I just HOPE I'm dead when someone tries to incorporate this into my old system. I can envision even the good Wall professional listed people (which mine is) happily dealing with all the adjustments and problems of achieving this - I don't mean the few real steam enthusiast perfectionist professionals who will happily take whatever time and effort is required to perfect systems etc., like you and Mad Dog and some others, I mean the usual good pros but pros concentrating on (and necessarily so) everyday profit and loss. (And yes, I know you enthusiasts have to concentrate on profit and loss also, but you know what I mean.)

I find that doing much of anything with an old system (and yes, with proper near boiler piping for new boilers, etc.)is sort of a demonstration of the domino theory in action. Designing and installing an entire system from scratch would be a different situation.

As for residential steam being around after we're all dead, note that I said "some day." I didn't say right after we're dead. Some day even these old houses will crumble and they and their heating systems will be gone and I doubt that the new houses will be built with steam heating systems. I may be wrong given the twists and turns of technology; we'll never know.

As for standing pilots, I hear more problems on this forum with electronic ignition (at least a greater variety of problems) than with standing pilots and I also hear of an advantage of some warmth to the system during the long seasonal down period. Perhaps the energy-savings should trump that now.
This discussion has been closed.