Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

YOU AMERICAN &#$%% !!

are in such a subtle mood, how about these?<BR>I have some steamers too Frank, I`ll show them tomorrow if I`m not <i>put through the wringer</i> too badly!<BR>BTW-I "subbed" the venting out(first & last time).<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Just got chewed out

by a foreign gentleman. I used the symbols because I'm not sure exactly what word he used but I figger it weren't a nice one. I love this business. This guy called me months ago to look at a place about 1/2 hour from here. It took a couple hours and I found, among other things in the filthy place, that half the bulding had no power. So I told him to get an electrician out there and call me back when they had the power thing figured out. Never hear from him again. Finally billed him for it. Took him two+ months and several calls to pay me. So yesterday he calls up, now that my busy get ready for winter season is upon me, and wants me to drop everything and go running down there because there is no heat. I tell him I'm very busy and won't be able to get to it right then but MAYBE I can get to it tomorrow. He says, "OK, you go there tomorrow morning." Like he's in charge of me or something. So, thinking about it all later I go with the "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." method. He calls me again first thing this morning and I tell him I'm too busy and I'm not interested. Now I'm an American ^#$%!! LOL...
    Least ways I don't think I'll be hearing from his sorry *** anymore, I love it when a plan comes together. ;)
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Gentleman?

You are way too kind, MPF. I would not use that term "gentleman" to describe him, for it debases the value of it for when it is useful. (EDIT: You know and I know that you do not mean it in any way but sarcastically :)

Darin Cook for example, immediately comes to mind. A Gentleman.

He singled you out as an American and seems to have a low opinion of Americans by his tone, so why is he here?

I would have told him to commit an 'anatomically impossible act' and bid him good day.

You certainly took the high road, to your credit.
  • Rick_86
    Rick_86 Member Posts: 19
    Two elderly gentlemen...

Two elderly gentlemen from a retirement center were sitting on a bench under a tree when one turns to the other and says: "Slim, I'm 83 years old now and I'm just full of aches and pains. I know you're about my age. How do you feel?"
    Slim says, "I feel just like a newborn baby."
    "Really!? Like a newborn baby!?"
    "Yep. No hair, no teeth, and I think I just wet my pants."

*Darin's former saleman is also a gentleman... Kind of
  • I should have,,,

put the word in quotes to indicate my sarcastic meaning. LOL... I simply laughed, thanked him and hung up.

As much as I hate to lose the money, the aggravation of dealing with this guy is just not worth it. If he was forthcoming with the $ I might have thought differently about it. All the customers I have pay me in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not going to push them all off for a guy who thinks he can pay me when he feels like it and then expects me to jump when he calls. We have more of a history than just that too. Several quotes I did for him, one an hour drive each way, that never panned out. Meaning he just never did anything. Another time he takes me to a house of a friend of his who, after I discover both his A/C and heat run together and correct it, insists that he had zones before I touched it and now he doesn't. I looked all over that place, there were no zone dampers, yet I'm getting screamed at and naturally, don't get paid for my time. Besides, I can't understand at least 3/4 of what he says at any given time, which was also very annoying because he tried to play on it, if you know what I mean. The stories had a bad habit of changing. Oh, and let's not forget the bounced check on the very first job I did for him, service fees for it and running around to straighten THAT little mess out. No, this was the final straw.
  • It's good,,,

to have a place to vent where people understand. ;)
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Some people

can not be satisfied. No matter how hard you try.

You did the right thing.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom Kane
    Tom Kane Member Posts: 56
    tell him

that aside from your current profession you also happen to work for the Immigration and Naturalization Service and he should be prepared to recieve visitors shortly.......
  • Tempting,,,

to report his "hate" speech but no witnesses. I got his "number" though. Now I won't care how cold of a day in hell it is as far as ever working for him again. Ain't freedom great you ^#$% Americans!!? LOL...

Now, MUST GET TO WORK!! ;)
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Know of what you speak

I find many people are like I need you now and dictate whe I will be there...I say no..I have an opening at xx:xx si that convenient?

Usually its no, I need you now. I usually say..there are 2 ways, because everyone has no heat now..I am not putting you off because I have a glof time..the original is the FIRST available regularly scheduled time, or I can be there after hours for a premium of $xxx.xx and T&M at 1.5, the third choice is try my comnpetitors, but you will likely find they are busy too..."

Never easy.

Best is I booked one of these, got there and 2 other guys were there already (competition), get out and say whats up? they say we have appointments..I say me too...we all look at each other, the HO is in the window wondering how we'll sort it out...

We decided to go to the Tim Hortons, and left him there call ing us saying why didn't ne of come in and fix his furnace...Wont repeat the words we heard when we all billed him....
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Love it!

THAT is a classic, Mitch. You all billed them... dang, you cannot make that up. Time is money and the HO was willing to waste yours.

Payback, that be good :)
  • So,,,

I happen to stop in at an associates place, which is right down the street from one of this guys properties. He's actually a fairly large real estate magnate(translation: slum lord)in my neck of the woods. So we're talking and I tell him the story and ask him if he knows the guy and he says "Jimmy??" That guy is a cheap(starts with a P rhymes with Rick), I won't do anything for him anymore!" So apparently I've made a good assessment of his character and have responded in the correct manner.

yea, I've arrived at locations only to find another tech(or two)there because the customer called everybody they could find and we all showed up at once. The best one was the end of the day into after hours Friday call. Ever see a tech so ticked off the tires are smoking and squealing on the service truck as he leaves? That was in my younger days, I've mellowed a bit. Plus, I pay for the tires now. LOL...
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I had a person call from a rich ski town 45 min east of me, and told him I could do a check-up the next day. He says he wants an extra pump, ignitor, and so on to be ready for a no heat call. I call him the next morning to tell him I can be there later that evening and he actually says I seem desparate by calling him back (he was supposed to call me by 10AM to confirm) and was calling someone else. I am soo busy I cannot breath and he thinks I am desparate for a darn start-up & check service call 45 min away??? The rich & fameous...some are real jerks...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • You've experienced stress,,,

"The feelings caused by resisting the urge to strangle the **** out of someone that desperately needs it." LOL...

The rich ones are the WORST! Long, long time ago, I went to this beautiful house. It was during a long heat wave and as usual the ones who've been putting off repairs are coming out of the woodwork. So the guy's A/C hasn't worked in FIVE YEARS!! I quickly find and repair a freon leak. Charged him $80 and I'm supposed to collect. Well. "You've only been at my house such and such number of minutes and it only takes such and such number of minutes to get here and back so you are overcharging me 15 minutes!" "We have a 1 hour minimum charge on labor sir." This was in the days when rates were $40 an hour, remember those? So we're talking about $10 here. He put up a nasty fuss but I stood my ground and he finally handed over some cash that I thought was $80. I'm so PO'd I don't bother to count it and I shove it in my pocket, I just wanted out of there. So I get back to the office later to cash out and sure enough, the SOB shorted me the $10. I wanted to go back there but the boss knew better.

Oh! OH! Jack Lemmon's KID!! Same story, but not to me. Doesn't want to pay for one reason or another, being rich and Jack Lemmon's kid and all, so the tech left and they sent another one back later to try and collect. He answers the door in his KARATE outfit and acts all aggressive like he's going to get violent over it! So that tech leaves too. I hear all this back at the office. I boxed AAU for a few years as a kid. I say, "Oh yea? Let ME go out there!" But they wouldn't. :(

Fun is...
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95

Send him a bill for phone call
  • Oooo, that's evil,,,

I like it!
  • Timco

Anatomically impossible??? You are forgetting about the guy from Nantuckett....(had to say it...)

Tim
  • Well,

I don`t agree with chewing-out anyone, but I have to admit as a Canadian, I feel most times you guys consider yourselves quite "elite".
    I do many installs, however I would never post them here as the "high rollers" would nit-pick them to death with negative(not constructive) criticism.
    Next to Alaska, are we not a very cold climate too?, maybe some of us(Canadians), do know what we`re doing.
    Unless in "the club" I find most Canadian input is cold shouldered.
    Sorry Dan, but many do feel this way!

Dave
  • Timco

Hate to say it man, but yes, I do consider myself elite, and charge accordingly. I proudly post most installs that have something cool to offer, but I tell the customers I do not really do the bang - bang fast installs. Only with BFP install and pump away so I know I will not have a callback. It needs to be right.

Tim
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    As David Lee Roth said: \"....C'mon Dave..gimme a break!\"

No guts, no Glory. Instead of being so negative and timorous...POST some of you're best work and defend it if it is attacked. I and many here have had to do that many times. Maybe its just me, but you seem to be making this a Canadian versus American thing....that is pathetic if that is the case. ALL are welcome to post their work, questions and comments here. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Then post some Canadian work

put it in our face and defend it when attacked instead of complaing, bro. Mad Dog

• Hey Matt!

I`ll give you "blood & guts" anytime, this is not American VS Canadian,,, it`s a matter of just feeling welcome.

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Dave, if you post some job pics

and they show that you did a good job, I'll be one of the first to tell you so. And, knowing you, they'll be good.

• Mad Dog_2
    You, know Dave....I don't EVER recall seeing ANYTHING

on this site, that prohibited Showcasing work from ANY country..Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    You need to reread my post...never said anything about

Blood and Guts...JUST - no guts - no glory, i.e., if one has the guts to take a risk by being open to critcism - HOWEVER HARSH & UNFAIR SOMETIMES - one can experience GREAT GLORY - Thats all. Mad Dog

• Thank You Frank,

You are the first guy who NEVER went-off "half-cocked", and you have been a good friend!
    I`m not short on "guts", but after what I have said, I would be "crucified" if I posted a pic now.

Dave
  • Matt,

I have NEVER posted pics, does that make me a XXXXface?
    Did you ever consider the fact that perhaps someone may be better than you?

Dave
  • Mad Dog_2
    NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if we ever met, and I am not sure if I have ever seen your work here. That being said, we all post less-than-perfect work some times. In fact, I posted something a few weeks entitled, "They ain't all for the magazine." We use bushings from time to time, and can't afford to make every job picture perfect and anyone who trys to claim that ALL the work they post here is 100% OF all THEIR INSTALLED WORK IS FULL of it or independently wealthy, or in dreamland. In fact, I got a private email from a critic who chastised me for not doing a picture perfect install...even though I explained that the job was done on a very tight budget. Posting work here is a little bit like getting in to The Octagon or a boxing ring....it takes ALOT of guts, you need a thick skin and you'd better be prepared to get your block knocked off if you haven't "prepped" for the fight. Its a real world, reality check, baby. Mad Dog

• Alright

Here`s my own. I tried to hide my crappy walls with a sheet!
    Go ahead,,, I expect the typical criticism.

Dave
  • Timco

Dave,

That looks great. Very sweet install. I would have put the....JUST KIDDING!!

Tim
  • Mad Dog_2
    I ALWAYS keep that in mind on EVERY JOB

every day of my life. I am the harshest of all critics on MYSELF....I have MUCH To learn and MUCH MORE to improve. We'll Dave, there is only ONE way to find out who the BEST installers are right? Since, we can't take tours around the world to see everyone's boiler rooms, Mr Holohan has afforded us the this wonderful place to showcase EVERYONE'S work. No one is stopping you. The only way to TRULY be the best is to go UP AGAINST The Best in competition. I don't see fierce competition here very often- but fairly friendly and VERY objective critiques. Why are you so defensive and resentful, Man? Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    That looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even noticed the really nice No-Hub sanitary in the background. You have to get some confidence Bro....you should be proud of that job. Mad Dog

• Rick_86
    Rick_86 Member Posts: 19
    What's This Aboot?

Dude,
    You can't classify all Americans just like we can't stereotype all Canadians. It's aboot time we all get along...

A French Canadian who was staying in a hotel in New York phoned room service for some pepper. "Black pepper, or white pepper?" asked the concierge.
    "Toilette pepper!"

• mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Gosh Darn!

Can't we all just get along? Yes, we are elite, and professional....I learned a long time ago before any articles were published in any magazines how to fire a customer....I could regale all of you for hours with my stories from the last 35 yrs.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Geeese Dave

I put pictures up all the time and get critqued all the time. I learn alot and find mistakes I missed.

I don't think they are picking in the Yankee. O.K. maybe Jeff L. is but the rest are just doing thier job.

I don't know where you get the Canadian/American think. I think you bring it on your self Dude.

Scott

• I love Canadians...

I just don't understand why they call ham bacon! ;)

I don't see anything wrong with those installs. I've had my stuff picked apart and I have either defended it because that's the way I do things or corrected it because someone told me about an error I may have made. Stuff happens and we all learn. I'm way smarterer since I started coming here. You do have to have a bit of brass to post pix here, Canadian or not. There are certain nationalities out there that work all the time for next to nothing and expect that everybody else should too. They think if you don't then you are LAZY. As in lazy American. This is what he was getting at when he made that exclamation. He thinks I'm lazy because I wouldn't add him into the mix and work half the night as well. And he was also PO'd becasue I charged him for the previous time I took just to look at his disaster. Hey I had my meter out, I traced a lot of wiring around, I searched for breaker panels he didn't even know he had. PLUS it was a 40 minute drive both ways. Yet, I was supposed to do that for nothing. So I didn't refuse him because I'm a lazy American that wants a lot of money for doing nothing, I did it because he is a cheap little (Starts with K sounds like orean) (Starts with P sounds like Rick)and my assessment was later substantiated by others who've also had dealings with him. Like I said, if he had paid me in a reasonable amount of time I might haver thought differently. That was the kicker. I didn't feel like chasing him for my money again, not when I have plenty of people who pay right up, they come first in my book.
  • Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    as one canuck

to anudder, the only thing that i would like to see, is the expansion tank having a shut-off. hate having to drain down just to change the tank. udderwise looks great!

Leo G
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Those all look nice

I especially like the one with the black steel piping.

Bring on your steamers!

This discussion has been closed.