Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Im very proud of my lateset project and would like to gloat

are correct.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Stewy_2
    Stewy_2 Member Posts: 83
    and of course ask a question

I reduce the number of sections in a screw type radiator. It wasn't easy, had to make my own 1" close nipple but I got it. Can the push nipples be retro fitted into screw type radiator? Got two more to do and they take a while.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Not sure I follow...

Push nipples have a machined/milled finish and taper, no threads. They rely on a friction fit under compression in order to seal.

Threaded sections are threaded, I have no idea how one would mix the two, unless I mis-understand what you are asking.
  • Stewy_2
    can a screw type connector niple be replaced by a push nipple

in a screw type rad. So if I took apart a screw type rad, could I reassemble it with push nipples?
  • Phil_17
    Phil_17 Member Posts: 178
    Highly doubt it...

Unless you plan to remachine the nipple interfaces in the sections (i.e. bore out the threads with a smooth tapered surface to match the push nipples). You'll never get the smooth push nipple to seal against the threaded surfaces
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Phil is right

Two different beasts.

Push nipples are ground together with matching dies and reamers so that the fit is very close. The taper is precise. Often a series of dies and reamers would be used together for x number of units then discarded or re-machined to maintain quality control.
  • Stewy_2
    thank you

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Gloat away....

Because if you gloat toward the PONPC, your HEAD might pop.:-)

Got pictures?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Stewy, was this an old ornate column style???

I have been contemplating trying to take one apart and reassemble with new r/l nips. Just wondering if this is what you did. Thanks, Tim
  • Why are you

Removing a section? wouldn't it be easier to use an adjustable vent or a TRV??

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Stewy_2
    It was an ornate rad, Ill put up pics.

What I did was carefully cut down through the thread nipple between section 3 and 4 and the last and second to last section (I needed a 4 sec rad for the space). Then because the old nipples were so corroded into the sections, I had to chisel them out. Next I had to find a 1" long 2" nipple, NOT possible. I had the nipple cut but because of the small size and weaker threaded material, the cut end couldn't be beveled so I has the spend a while on the grinder beveling it myself. When I got it just right, I put one end into the 3 section and then spun the single section on it till it was tight and there I had it.
This discussion has been closed.