Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HONEYWELL DIGITAL T STAT QUESTION

Comments

• Hello--I just wanted to ask a question about the Swing Temperature setting--My new digital honeywell T stat doesnt have any setting for the swing--The manual and box state that the unit is + or - 1 So i'm thinking to myself--If i set the heat to say 70 degs i guess it will go on at 69 and go off at 71? OR--Does it try to keep the house at 70 degs wouldnt that make the hot air furnace run longer no? Thanks for any help!! Honeywell says that +or - 1 saves energy!! Thanks and have a great eve... MARK
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

The swing means that the temp will go up almost one degree and down almost one, but you normally won't see the swing on your display, because it's "almost."

There has to be some swing, or else the heat would be on and off rapidly all the time.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624

My understanding of the Honeywell digital tstats is that they don't have a swing setting. They use cycles per hour, which is different for each system type: hot water, forced air, steam, etc.

So your thermostat will call for heat if the temperature is below the set point, but will not call more often than the CPH setting. It's important to have the correct CPH setting for your system type.

I have one on a steam system. It's set to one cycle per hour and I think it works very well.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

Just to clarify--all thermostats have temperature swing. Less than plus or minus one degree (2 degrees total) is ideal. Digital thermostats control it with cycles per hour (cph). Ideal is 5 cph for high efficiency furnaces, 6 for fin tube baseboard, and conventional furances, 3 for hydronic radiators, and 1 for steam. For in-floor radiant, it depends upon the floor type and installation. Non-digital thermostats have an anticipator instead of cycle rate adjustment. the anticipator is a little winding that creates heat to control cycle rate. Setting the anticipator to match the amp draw of the load gives 6 cph. Multiply the amp draw by .8 to get 3 cph.
This discussion has been closed.