Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Parts stock for oil?

Big Will
Big Will Member Posts: 396
and the other stuff listed. I have been doing service on non oil equipment for a while now. I wish I knew about the guy who retired. To be honest "retired" is a assumption. The customers say he just doesn't answer the phone anymore. They all said they were very happy with him though. I would like to meet the guy but its not in the cards I think.

Comments

• Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    In my area their is very little oil fired.

The guy who used to have all of the work wrapped up retired. I have never met him but his customers miss him. I have been taking the calls and re-reading my residential oil burners book by Herb Weinberger. Since I have never worked for a company who took oil calls and never meet anyone other than on the wall who knows oil. I have to wing it when it comes to stocking parts. I have done well so far but would like to have a pump on the truck if their is one that is fairly common. All the systems so far have been gravity with single stage pumps. In Herbs book he mentions Suntec model A pump. Is there one that fits many applications for residential? Kinda like the universal ignition transformer.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The basic A pump

was made in two versions. One was 1725-RPM, the A1VA series. The later one is 3450-RPM, that's the A2VA-7XXX series. It should fit any standard current-model burner, be it Beckett, Carlin, Wayne etc. up to 3 GPH.

If you find a burner out there that still runs at 1725 RPM, recommend replacing it with a high-speed flame-retention unit. Assuming the old burner is a non-flame-retention type, you can drop the nozzle size by at least 10% with a corresponding fuel savings. And, depending on what equipment the low-speed burner is installed in, it might be time to replace the whole thing.

The latest A-pump version has a built-in solenoid delay valve. That's usually a Beckett-branded "Clean-Cut" pump which MUST be used with some sort of valve-on delay. Suntec builds this pump, and also has a version with their name on it.

I'd keep both a standard and a Clean-Cut on the truck.

If there are a lot of Riello burners in your area, you'll want to stock the usual parts for them too. These are quite different from other burners but Riello does sell a service kit.

If you're just getting into oil, you need to get in touch with George "Firedragon" Lanthier. He's one of the best in the business. I haven't read the Weinberger book but I do have George's "Advanced Residential Oilburners" which is first-rate. Get a copy at www.firedragonent.com . Note that this book is ONLY sold to those in the heating business.

Also, if you go to Alan Mercurio's site, www.oiltechtalk.com , go to the forum and search (I believe "truck stock" is the term to use) you can find several threads on this very topic.

Learn about valve-on delay and why it should be used on ALL oil burners. Also motor-off delay and when to use it.

And if you don't have a digital combustion analyzer, get one and learn how to use it!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bruce M_2
    Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
    Oil Pumps

While you are on the subject of oil pumps you need to have an oil pressure gauge so you can set the correct pressure on these pumps. Since there are a limited number number of oil customers you might want to set up a computer file for each customer. You can list the type of boiler, the type burner and the correct nozzle and pump and filter for each system. You mentioned the previous repair person who retired. Any idea of what happened to his parts stock?
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Don't overlook

Electrodes, transformers/terminals, several pieces of sheet metal, refractory cement, plenty of screws, bolts, nuts, machine screws,jumper wires with alligator clips,shaft couplings....I could go on but..
  • Oil gear

R7184U oil primary, pick which safety switch timing is the most common in your area (15, 30, 45 seconds). L7224U Oil aquastat. L4064 oil valves, for use with the primaries. Any VisionPro or FocusPro stats are good with oil. Great advice from Steamhead, both George Lanthier and Alan Mercurio have excellent resources for you. He's right about the combustion analyzer, too. You can not set up an oil burner properly "by eye"!
This discussion has been closed.