Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

brazing

Options
I am new to the AC world. What type of torch do you find is the best at brazing? I currently just use my turbotorch with a "B" tank of acetelyne. I was wondering if an oxy/acet set up would work better. If so, what tip would you use? Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

depends on the size --residential, light commercial turbo-torch should do fine --
  • mike in Pa_3
    mike in Pa_3 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have been in the plumb/heat industry for close to 20 yrs....always soldered, never brazed .I guess I am thinking that I'm heating the tubing too much and that maybe a different torch would "pinpoint" the heat.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

We only use oxy/acet. when brazing. Heats pipe much quicker and more in the right area, then heating large section of pipe to get hot enough. Tip size depends on pipe size, but if you buy basic kit from local store of your choice, they are fine. Bought mine from The Tractor Supply store near me and it works fine.

Too much heat dispersed on pipe is not good, especially near refrigerant valves. Always use nitrogen in pipe when brazing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks

I do "sweep" some nitrogen through the lines when brazing.I am going to try the oxy/acetyl torch. What size tips should I look for. We only are dealing with 7/8 od and very rarely 1 3/8 od on the suction lines. Thanks
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Tip Sizes

If you are going straight aor-acetylene, an A-11 tip will be sufficient for brazing lines from 7/8" - 1 5/8".

Although I personally grew up learning to use oxy-acetylene beofre learning to use air-acetylene, I personally prefer to use the air-acetylene when brazing the range of pipe sizes you refer to in your post.

All the best,

The Professor
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks

thanks for your reply
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Hi professor.

I take it the reason you like the air-acetylene is because you are in the class room with no wind and lots of time on your hand.LOL. Or is it the issue of flakes?

Personally I have a need for speed and the two bottle setup gets me there.

What about map gas torch.Any of you guys like them?

Hope all is well with everyone.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    No Wind!

Definitely no wind in my labs!
This discussion has been closed.