Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

atmospheric gas boiler vs megasteam

V8toilet
V8toilet Member Posts: 71
You can use this websites heating system energy calculator to compare the AFUE efficiencies to each other so you can figure out what your monthly payments would be with each unit installed in your house. http://www.energyexperts.org/ Just type in the AFUE rating, the price per a unit of oil or gas (including delivery charges) and the type of boiler you have. Use the engery star water boiler for steam in the drop down menu.

If National Grid is going to give you a new atmospheric boiler installed for free, well that's a hard deal to beat!

Comments

• mikebegood
    mikebegood Member Posts: 17

My oil company is recommending replacing my existing steam boiler with a Burnham Megasteam. Given the high price of oil , I am also considering a "free" gas boiler from National Greed. The oil company has said that if I insist on changing to gas that I should get a HB Smith with a gas "gun" so that I can easily switch fuels if the price equalizes. What is your opinion
  • V8toilet
    V8toilet Member Posts: 71
    oil vs gas

You can use this websites heating system energy calculator to compare the AFUE efficiencies to each other so you can figure out what your monthly payments would be with each unit installed in your house. Just type in the AFUE rating, the price per a unit of oil or gas (including delivery charges) and the type of boiler you have. Just engery star water boiler for steam.

If National Grid is going to give you a new atmospheric boiler installed for free, well that's a hard deal to beat!
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Variables

You may want to wait it out a year to see where prices go, in Mass there was a thing in the news last week of one of the gas companies requesting a 27% INCREASE. You can rest assured the "free" (other customers pay for it)boiler won't be the top of the line most efficient and it won't be oil capable. At this point the Megasteamer is only rated for gas the Smith is rated for both. One last thing, how much are the associated costs to get the "free" boiler installed vs an oil replacement.

Leo
  • mikebegood
    mikebegood Member Posts: 17
    free boiler

The "free" boiler is around $4000 once it is installed
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That \"free\" boiler

would probably cost you a lot more in the long run. I doubt if a gas utility is going to sell equipment that will help it sell LESS product.

If you're going to stay with oil, the MegaSteam is far and away the best boiler to get. Kudos to your oil company for recommending it. Burnham knows we want a gas option for the MegaSteam, but there is no word on when it will be available.

The Smith 8 series (G-8 when equipped with a gas burner) is the most efficient gas-fired residential steamer on the market today, and it can be easily switched to oil if you wish. Both oil and gas burners are available from the factory for the 8 series boilers. This is the boiler we install on our gas-fired steam jobs. Here's a link to one we just did:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=55843&mc=15

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.