Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

building shower pan

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
brooklyn plumbers are not capable of making a shower pan ???? what is this world comming to ?

Comments

• Sam G.
    Sam G. Member Posts: 12

I am involved in a big home rehab project. All new inhouse water piping (using PEX), radiant heat (also PEX), mega bathrooms with site built shower liners, etc. The contractor has built 1 shower with a "outside" corner, approx. 225 degrees. How do I construct the liner around the corner. The blue vinyl does not stretch that much,you can't overlap and glue weld enough to make me feel safe, the factory rep. has been unable to help me, and I have not been able to find a preformed corner. Any suggestions?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

It may sound old-fashioned, but why not use sheet lead or copper?
  • Bart Vaio
    Bart Vaio Member Posts: 56
    Hot Mop

Sounds like you need a hot mopped pan..
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Outside Corners

I'm not totally sure I understand, but are you looking for something like this?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    EPDM

Custom shower pans are usually formed with EPDM, available at most supply houses. The pan should be installed 6" above the flood rim, with no nails or fasteners, below the rim. Years ago, Fine Homebuilding did an article about the correct intallation of the material years ago...maybe it's in their archives. "Old-timers" (myself included) used sheet lead, but the cost is prohibitive, and the plastic doesn't react with brass shower drains.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    lead vs. vinyl

We do them with lead all the time so you should be able to do it with vinyl in your sleep. hire a carpet layer. he could do it for you. or a plumber. use a smith type drain & put a 24 hr. test on pan. you can do it.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    try

ardex 8+9 or laticrete 9235..i miss the west coast where we always had them hot asphalt mopped.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Will Merryman
    Will Merryman Member Posts: 32
    Shower pan

Check out Schluter.com. Kerdi sheet membrane for pan and wet walls.. Also Tile your world forums. Great resource.
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95

In my area ( Brooklyn NY ) if the corners are not square i call in a fiber glass guy, they lay the membrane and the resin smells for a day but well worth it. Cost is very,very resonable.
  • steveex

Try it, youl like it
  • jimmac
    jimmac Member Posts: 47
    sign me up!

stevex sounds good,sign me up .Also a plumber in your neck of the woods and have to make vinyl pans regardless of shape or size.So please tell who is your very ,very reasonable fiber guy and how do i contact him?
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Shower Pan Construction

Guys
    Take a look here www.noblecompany.com We have a shower sectionthat also has short videos on construction. Hope this helps.
  • steveex

His name is Sam and # is 631-960-5670
This discussion has been closed.