Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lights out! for Earth Hour

rich pickering
rich pickering Member Posts: 277
Ok. In our capital city, the electric utility monitored the power consumption for the last three saturdays, so they would have some baseline date.

So, guess what happened during Earth Hour.

Consumption went up 3%.

Opps. my bad. consumption went up by 3 Megawatts.

Comments

• Lights out America! for Earth hour

Consider turning off your lights tomorrow March 29th, from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM to show your support and unity. Check out www.lightsoutamerica.org or www.earthhour.org for more information. Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    WHO told you

that this is the very same hour Susan and I put aside for, well, you know....

Consider it, well, done.

:)
  • Brad you are funny

Ya, an hour, right. Your always joking. For people with kids it might be a good time to light the candles and have a talk about the environment and energy.
    Thanks Brad, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Sure

I'll shut the lights off for an hour, as long as I can keep my refrigerator gong. I don't want my beer to warm up!!
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    well

I'm sure Brad puts the 58 minutes left to good use.

COULD NOT RESIST BRAD..SORRY!!!

See if I get any more tech support heehee

• Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    What we call

"Episcopalian (or Republican) Foreplay":

"What? Thursday already?"

And I still have 59 minutes to go.

Bada-bing.
  • Jason

I'm pretty sure refrigerator lights are exempt.
    Thanks for your support, Bob Gagnon

• rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277

Govt of Canada aka public works sent letters out to all building owners from whom they lease space encouraging them to shut the lights off.

Hmmmmmmm............

How much energy was consumed making the paper and ink, printing the letters, mailing and delivering........
  • Darin Cook_5
    Darin Cook_5 Member Posts: 298
    Going Dark

We are going to see the celtic band "Enter the Haggis" tonite at 8pm. I wonder if they will play unplugged? To honor the lights out time, I will drink my Harp lager warm!

Darin

• radioconnection_4
    radioconnection_4 Member Posts: 12
    earth hour

I'm going to go hug a tree, sing a few stanzas of kumbaya, and then chop the tree down for firewood. Bwaaa haaa haa.

I think some of the homes that have been shown on here with massive driveway desnowing systems should be the first to do something to conserve energy. But, those will be the folks cheerleading this "event" to show they "care."
  • Tony Shupenko
    Tony Shupenko Member Posts: 54

AMEN! Afterwards, we can watch Al Gore get on his private jet to go off to some other country to plant trees so that he can claim carbon credits for his enormous carbon footprint.

• Back in an hour...

G'nite john boy...

ME
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Is that eastern time?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Kevin O. Pulver_2
    Kevin O. Pulver_2 Member Posts: 87
    What's your real name radio?

I've gotta say I think your post makes a lot of sense, and I wonder if you will sign your name to it or are "in the closet" so to speak? Kevin
  • I'm BAAAaaaack.....

Spent the hour catching up with the wife on the new project.

I also gave some thought to what just happened.

The only winners in this event were the participants. Right, wrong, indifferent and snowmelt installers like myself. If I don't do it, some body will, and at least I KNOW it's going to done as efficiently as possible.

When "they" outlaw snowmelt systems, I'll be GLAD to plug a solar system/GSHP to their snowmelt system. You betcha!!

I sleep well at night. The overall systems I have put out in my lifetime have saved quadrillions of BTU's :-)

The reality of Earth hour is that no one really reduced their carbon footprint. There is no way that the power company turned their capacity down for the hour or so it was in effect. In fact, they probably had to ramp their operations up to handle the inrush demand at the end of the function.

So much for environmental awareness.

Speaking of global warming, How about that ice shelf...Now THAT will get your attention...

ME
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

It seems many here do not sign their names...but their comments & opinions still count. 'radio' has posted many times before...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • lights out for real

I think it's interesting that people are even talking about their lights. We have been asleep at the wheel, for far to long. Oil was $10 a barrel in 2000! this is radical instability, we may actually be facing the first waves of ecological economics, in the form of peak oil.

The cheap oil economy has spun some unnatural contrivances, snow melt in Colorado has got to be one of strangest. The paradoxes of opportunistic economics, its too bad we are forced to think in terms of lesser evils, as opposed to common sense. The "someone else will do it" (I can do it better) rational has merit. But this logic is also a slippery slope,balancing freedom and responsibility is at the crux of it. Legions at the top rungs of our society have copped out on this.No level of efficiency or solar heat pump wizardry can legitimize the boundless excess epitomized by snow melt mansions. How strange all this wealth at the top, while the fundamental support systems begin to teeter.

Just finished an interesting book titled The Long Emergency, the author compelling warns of the consequences of our unbridled global economic dependance on oil. I'm beginning to wonder if the day will come when the energy we take for granted may not be available 24/7.

Imagine a future where cheap energy and all the things it provides are no longer available, what will happen to America on the down side of the Hubbard curve?
  • ScottRW
    ScottRW Member Posts: 33
    Lights

Hi guys. I've been lurking here a while, made a few posts, but generally been reading and learning. This enviormental problem we face is real. If anyone is interested, check out a new book by Lester Brown called "Plan B 3.0" It's a real eye opener. His approach is that there is still time to fix what's broken, but we need to get started. Make some serious lifestyle changes. Don't want to preach to the choir, just want to share about the book.
    Scott
  • Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    What I enjoy the most

in this debate is that NIMBY is still alive and kicking. Just had a major run of stream power project shut-down, too close to a major population centre. Another proposal for a wind farm is under enourmous pressure to be stopped, as the bidders would have to build a power line through the wild to connect to the grid.

Do people really think that "green" power can come at no expense to the enviroment? Read an article today about auto manufactures. Getting the message that people want better mileage from their cars, yet their best sellers are still the full size pick-ups and SUV's.

Here in BC, we could have enough hydro power to keep most of Cascadia in energy for the next one hundred years, yet our government won't even consider building new dams! Even though all the doom and gloom from the nay-sayers from the sixties and seventies never materialized. Nope, its better to have a whole bunch of green energy projects, that when push comes to shove, still get battered from the enviroterrorists,.

People, you CANNOT EAT YOUR CAKE AND STILL HANG ON TO IT!
    I for one will do my part my way, and not join into this charade of feel good movements that are only there to placate guilty consciences.

Remember, human beings are not privileged, in that we are the only organism to exist outside of nature!

Leo G
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Didn't Lester starve

to death in the 1960's, or was it the 70's? Guess not. He's been soaking folks, big time, w/ "we're doomed" fiction for over 40 years.

Guess what? We're still here. Then again. So is he.
  • Paul Fredricks_5
    Paul Fredricks_5 Member Posts: 132

Well, I did my part and turned all the lights off for the hour.

Of course, I turned on all the TV's and computers in the house so I could see as I walked around.

...maybe that wasn't the idea...

It seems to me that all I do every day is turn off lights in my house. If you are a Dad you know what I mean.
  • Joannie_15
    Joannie_15 Member Posts: 115
    Dads and Lights

Jeff Foxworthy has a great bit on going around the house and turning off lights.

"Is anyone IN this room? Is anyone going THROUGH this room? I can put 20 Watters in here, people, if you can't handle the responsibility!!!"
This discussion has been closed.