Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two stage set up for vapor system (Steamhead)

Options
gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
as to wether or not low fire works well..for example a vapor system which heats very well at low fire..but was designed for it..if the boiler shuts off on pressure, there is even worse efficiency of on/off cycling..and often complaints of poor heat distribution..we use low fire very often..some customers say it saves money..some say the bills stayed the same..all say comfort has increased..

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=360&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    Two stage set up for vapor system (Steamhead)

Hi Frank,
    Can you give me any pointers for this set up? Maybe you could e-mail me the details.I have a pretty good idea, but any advice would be great. I was going to use a two-stage Uni-Line (Robertshaw) gas valve, tied into a vaporstat. Retro-fitting a Webster Type "R" system for our trades building. TIA, Frank!
    Ross
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That's how it's done

on the Weil-McLain LGB series atmospheric boilers- just a 2-stage gas valve (installed after the redundant CSD-1 valve which I would also recommend you use) and some additional controls. Obviously this is a CSD-1 situation, right? Here's a link to the CSD-1 manual for the LGB so you can see what's involved:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/downloads/literature/lgb/lgbcsdgas.pdf

What type of boiler is it, and what ignition system does it have? Is the Robertshaw valve made for use with this type of ignition system?

Is there a minimum manifold-pressure spec you can use as a lower limit?

The Vaporstat is wired to turn the high-fire stage on and off. Whenever there is a call for heat, the burners will run on low-fire if the Vaporstat is off on pressure, or on high-fire if not. Make sure there are no light-off issues on low-fire.

Do a combustion test on both stages (but you know that). On low-fire you also want to make sure the flue temp is high enough to prevent condensing.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    please share.

Please share what advantage there is by going to a lower firnig rate on a gas appliance.

From testing in the field I find that your thermal efficency is reduce big time going into low stage.

Is it not a true statement to say lower thermal efficency = higher gas comsumption?
  • Ross_7
    Options
    CSD-1

Hi Frank,
    Yes, we will be installing it per CSD-1, per MI Boiler code.
    Boiler is just a Crown Bermuda BSI-345. Intermittent pilot. Robertshaw gas valve model #700-064, which I belive is available on the BSI-376. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the link, the help, Frank!
    Ross
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    On Steam

once the pickup factor is satisfied, the boiler becomes oversized and short-cycles. Dropping the firing rate by just the amount of the pickup factor shouldn't decrease steady-state thermal efficiency that much, and the lack of short-cycling should more than offset this.

I haven't run into a steam heating system yet that wasn't originally designed for a lowered firing rate once it was heated up.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • don_192
    don_192 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks all

Sorry Ross, for changing the subject.
  • Ross_7
    Options
    No problem, Don!

That's why the wall is here.. to ask qustions!
    Thanks Gerry & Frank.
    Ross
  • Ross_7
    Options

This discussion has been closed.