Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geo Thermal

John Abbott
John Abbott Member Posts: 356
Perhaps the terminoligy is wrong. I just got back from a three day geothermal certification class and that was the term that I believe the instructor used to describe a bore hole that naturaly fills with water in that you install HDPE with a U tube at the bottom.In our part of the country NH ledge is usually 20 to 40 feet so most of the bore hole would be in stone.

Thanks
John

Comments

• John Abbott
    Geo Thermal

Does anyone have any experience with standing column geo thermal closed loop systems in nothern states similar latitude as NH?

John
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691

I'm pretty new to geo, but I think "closed loop" and "standing column" are two different animals.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • WV EGBERT_2
    WV EGBERT_2 Member Posts: 98
    not open loop?

since you stated U tube at bottom, I'm guessing you are talking about a closed loop system.

First , as far as I know you need to check local and state DEC regulations, as this may a violation . And you would need to fully grout with bentonite and seal the bore hole.

Second, you would not want just HDPE floating around in a column of water. You want direct contact with the earth as it has a better thermal conductivity than just water. I would imagine in NH's long winters you creating the worlds longest ice cube with that standing column of water.

Not the same dynamics as a HX in a pond which has a larger amount of water volume surounding the HDPE. And should be able keep at a higher temperature. But even in that situation ice could form around the pipe.
    You would just need to look at manufacturer's specs and see what >32* EWT performance ratings are for that unit .

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Abbott
    Thanks

Thanks

John
This discussion has been closed.