Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water for fuel

Tim_34
Tim_34 Member Posts: 56
Check out the video. Nothing in there about nuclear power.

Not sure why that was brought up here.

Very simply put: Looks like the inventor has a box he invented. He adds distilled water and electricity. He produces HHO gas.

I wouldn't mind doing some brazing with that gas just to check it out.

Comments

• Jorge
    Jorge Member Posts: 26
    Burn water for fuel cool link

check out this web site turn water into fuel cool site www.hytechapps.com check out the vids.
  • Tim_34
    HHO Gas

This video is also on google video.

Anyone here ever heard of this gas?
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Hydrogen...

Sure, its Hydrogen.

Have you heard people talk about how we need to change to a hydrogen economy for transporation to get away from oil use... President Bush proposed building several hunderd nuclear power plants to generate hydrogen via electolysis.

The oil industry has studied it as they need hydrogen to crack heavy oils - and making it from natural gas (their current method) is very expensive. The oil industry concluded that nuclear power plants running electrolysis would indeed be cost competitive assuming getting through the regulatory process in the US could be done in a reasonable and predictable fashion.

The DOE is working on several advanced high temperature gas cooled reactor designs that would break down water more ecomonically (and efficiently) than electrolysis - but they are 20 years away even as serios test reactors.

People have been researching hydrogen for many decades. Two problems prior to now. No one knew how to economically produce it at any scale. No one knew how to reasonably store it either.

Vast improvements have been made with storage options - but some work remains. Also, the power industry finally figured out how to operate and maintain nuclear power plants to maximize their reliability and production - and compared against the rising cost of petroleum - relatively cheap nuclear power and electrolysis now appears to be economicaly viable.

If you are wondering about nuclear power - its safety - its cost effectiveness please see the very long "inconvient truth" thread. A lot of questions and information on the issues and cost of nuclear power is posted there (many many post).

Perry

• JimH
    JimH Member Posts: 89
    thermolysis

Don't nukes make hydrogen via direct thermolysis, where the water decomposes at very high temperatures? Wasn't the hydrogen bubble at Three Mile island the result of decomposition of the zirconium tubes in the core?

Hydrogen has been made by thermolysis using a parabolic solar collector and water vapor. Safer than nukes and no uncertain long term waste disposal costs, but still too early to say whether it could be done on a commercial scale.

-JimH
  • Tim_34
    Link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=660759158947266385&q=hho+gas&hl=en

This is the link to the video I am referring to about HHO gas.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    two words:

Snake Oil! The device will use more energy than it puts out, period. 1st law of thermodynamics - you can't get something for nothing. File this along with "fuel saver magnets", "turbonators", "fuel pills", and any other scam you can think of.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Water

If the idea of generating hydrogen gas from water takes off, water will be $3 a gallon. ;-) It's not as if we have an unlimited fresh water supply.

The only new energy on Earth is solar energy, and we are going to have to conserve a LOT before that is enough. Add that to the extremely difficult storage problem and it's clear we have a serious challenge ahead.

Right now, our efforts are by far best spent on conservation. At the same time, we need to be developing new energy sources and making them viable. Unfortunately I think the strongest driving force making alternative energy viable is the increasing cost of fossil fuels rather than advancing technology dropping the cost of alternative energy.
  • Jay_17
    Jay_17 Member Posts: 72

My cousin referred me to the same site, load of bunk. Water is H2O, adding electricity splits it into H2 and O2, "burning" the H2 recombines it with O2 and makes water. If all were ideal, it would be an even exchange, you would put the power in, store the gas, and then burn the gas to get the power out. but all is not ideal, so each step looses some power and you would be better off heating with the electricity first. The video I saw of a demonstration of soldering a pipe had one guy using an oxy-acetylene torch and the other using their hydrogen torch, I have to ask, who uses an oxy-acet torch for soldering copper?
    Jay
This discussion has been closed.