Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

potable hot water circ line

Options
I have a gravity fed hot water circulating line. Hot water is from boilermate hot water tank. Circ. line is causing boiler to short cycle, and I don't need the circ. line 24 hrs./day. (Actually shut it off during summer months) Am interested to know if anyone knows of a "timer valve" I could install on the return side of the circ line.I do not need the whole pump--the gravity system works well, so if I don't need to spend the extra $$ to run a pump I don't need, I'd be more than happy to spend a little extra now for just an on/off valve on a timer. Any product suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Commonly done

Most DHW recirculation systems operate on both timer and aquastat. Ideally the aquastat goes at the furthest fixture (so you do not necessarily keep the return line hot). They also work on a timer as you suggest to take away the wait for a shower.

Taco makes a fine line of add-on controls, both timer and aquastat plus circulators if you need one. There are other systems in their line among others which go below a remote lavatory to charge the line to that point and use the cold water line as the return. CW may be a bit tepid but if the HW is warm that is not a huge price to pay.

Don't forget to insulate all the recirculated and primary HW piping. That is your biggest base loss.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.