Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Resetting primary controller

Options
My boiler has failed to fire a few times and I've had to reset the control. This has happened in the morning only and when I check the burner you can feel the internal transformer in the Primary control buzzing. I press the reset button and the burner fires after 10-20 seconds. No evidence of excess oil in chamber (no smoke, fire is clean)and the start is normal. Is this an indication of a faulty primary control?

Peerless boiler with tankless, Beckett burner, Honeywell R8184G 1286 Primary control, Beckett Heat manager(removed from system and still faults). Boiler is clean and good flow through Garber filter.

Thanks

Comments

• bill_71
    bill_71 Member Posts: 46
    Options

the 8184g should have an immediate light off upon hitting the reset button. now do you mean that the burner starts to run( burner motor and electrodes) after 10-20 seconds, or do those start up right away and you have flame after 10-20 seconds?.......you may have an oil delay solonoid wired in there and that little solid state control may be failing from time to time

i know its a bit late for the response but i figured i take a crack at this seeing as though nobody replied
  • Russ_11
    Russ_11 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Resetting primary controller

Thanks for the response. The burner (motor & Ignition) both light off after 10-20 seconds after pushing the reset. As I stated prior the internal transformer on the 8184g is humming during the time the burner fails to start. That's why I thought it might be a bad primary.

It hasn't failed in the past few days.

Thanks.
    Russell
This discussion has been closed.