Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ammonia in New York

I am a student at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan and in the HVACR program. Our 499 class project is the ASHRAE student design project, a building in Manhattan on Spring Street near the Hudson River.

My question is: Is there any special codes dealing with ammonia refrigeration equipment with-in the city. If there is can you please reference me to any of the material that is there

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    N Roush

I'm sure there is even though it is or has been phased out. The Buffalo Auditorium used an Ammonia system and the potential problem is concerning safety if and lines burst. See if you can look up Buffalo Memorial Auditorium and see what comes up. May give you some clues as to what you are looking for...

Mike T.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Ammonia

Ammonia is still used in new equipt. Servel-Robur still use it in their gas air conditioning and heat pumps. Large absorption AC units still use it as does low temperature refrigeration. OSHA requires personal protection. Rubber gloves and suits, eye, face and breathing protection, ventilation, plenty of water on hand. I'm sure Robur will have a complete book on handling this stuff as does any other mfg.
This discussion has been closed.