Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex tubing insulation

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
split of course :) and as tight as I can get to the OD of the PEX. I specifed it for the homeruns on buried PEX in a radiant floor at Williams College to keep the interior from overheating. Works fine, barely a degree up from the surrounding untubed floor, last I measured.

Comments

• doug o'connor
    doug o'connor Member Posts: 17

what is the best insulation to use on pex tubing?
    areas that are not to be heated.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    couple ideas,...

one is put the tubes through a much larger tube and insulate that pipe.

insulate with 1" split foam and spray foam that...

i let some other people answer then you get conformation or other techniques... *~/:)

• > one is put the tubes through a much larger tube

> and insulate that pipe.

>

> insulate with 1"

> split foam and spray foam that...

>

> i let some

> other people answer then you get conformation or

> other techniques... *~/:)

I just use 1/2" wall split foam sized to the tube. Seems to work ok.

• I just use 1/2" wall split foam sized to the tube. Seems to work ok.
  • Tim P._2
    Tim P._2 Member Posts: 47

I just used tubolit split foam. I also used armoflex when I thought about insulating the pipe prior to making the connections up.

I believe it's the same ID as copper, eg 1/2 pex requires a 5/8 ID insulation.

As an aside, if you use the 3/8" thick foam, you can insulate pex that is suspended by pex rails without much trouble.

Tim
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Exposed? or in the walls?

seems the foam type breaks down after a few years in sunlight or UV. If it is exposed and you want nice looking I use the Techlite brand. www.techlite.net Available in many jacket types and colors.

In walls, crawl spaces, etc I buy the unsplit style Armaflex or other brands and slide it on as I unreel.

Actually straight lengths of pex or PAP are much easier to insulate and handle. Most radiant manufactures offer 20 foot sticks, these days.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.