Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

removing tile from radiant floor

Tube is embedded in the concrete slab and then the ceramic tile will be attached with its own mortar on top of the slab. You should be able to make out the layers as the "cement" used is different. Rare to achieve perfect 100% attachment between tile, mortar and substrate so at least one of these layers will cleave away with relative ease.

While the tube is ideally dead center in the slab, from everything I've heard here about reality is that it's almost always near the bottom.

Unless you're using a jackhammer I'd suggest that your chance of damaging the tube is exceptionally low.

Comments

• Herb_3
    Herb_3 Member Posts: 1
    removing tile from a radiant floor

I'd like to remove ceramic tile from a concrete slab that has radiant heat, but I'm afraid of damaging the tubing when using a chisel. The tubing is 1/4" copper coil.

How deep is such tubing usually set? Is it laid in a bed of concrete or mortar, cured, and then tiled over?

I have a few pieces of the existing tile, so I could remove tile from a test area. If the copper isn't exposed, it should be o.k. to chisel away, right? Oh, and I know, chisel sideways, not down.

Thanks,

Herb
This discussion has been closed.