Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

y-type strainers

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
the larger question is, what are you trying to filter out?

Most filters in that size are about 20-mesh (1/32" openings) which will catch flakes of rust and crud but if you have that kind of problem you may want to consider cleaning the system. In other words, if you have large flakes of material there are bigger problems afoot.

It will not filter out loose powdery magnetite (black rust) which is beneficial to piping if it is adhered.

My standard design when connecting to an older system is to install a wye strainer to catch what may be loosened or on the verge, or released by a good cleaning. If I install a ModCon, I use a Neptune Filter Feeder which has 50, 20 and finer micron bag filters. I throw in a handful of rare earth magnets to scavenge spare iron floating about. Water stays pretty clear with Rhomar products.

But yes, a wye strainer by itself should do no harm. With a valve downstream, the blow-off port makes a handy purge setup too.

Comments

• Jim_55
    Jim_55 Member Posts: 21
    y-type strainer

I am thinking of adding a Y-type strainer on my 1 1/4 " return to my boiler to periodecally remove any particles from the system. I have a hydronic system with cast iron baseboard. Would I cause any problems to my system by doing this? Thanks Jim
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    What do you think about

using wye strainers or any other type of filter on a fintube baseboard system? My project for the spring is to replace the old cast iron boiler with a Knight. As the only cast iron in my system is the old boiler, is it a good idea or overkill to add either type of crud catcher to the piping?

Larry
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    I do not see any advantage

in installing a strainer in a primarily copper system. As you say, Larry, the main source of iron is in the boiler. The boiler passages are large and have low velocity so anything in suspension heavier than can be carried by the current drops out.

No harm but no benefit either, that I can see. Sure, you will get a slight film inside your copper piping but even treated piping has that to some extent.

My edict about strainers is principally for older notably gravity iron-pipe systems.
This discussion has been closed.