Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

peerless boiler

ralman
ralman Member Posts: 231
I checked and set to 12 PSI before filling system with water. It will be very difficult to remove all those tees. I posted a different question after this one about using pex tubing to connect the supply and return tees together. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• ralman
    peerless boiler

I have a peerless boiler model ec 103 oil fired water boiler. there is a tapping on top of the boiler for air elimination but it is plugged. what if any air eliminating device should be installed in this tapping? The boiler is connected to a single pipe monoflo tee system with mostly cast iron baseboard. The supply pipe runs to a tee on one side of the home and follows the perimeter of the home where the two pipes join back together with a y fitting. There are balancing valves on these 2 return pipes. I did not know they were balancing valves and turned them fully open. The only means of air elimination is the baseboard vents. There has been 6 baseboards removed and capped off by previous owners.The circulator is on the return pipe. I drained the system to replace a faulty pressure relief valve. I have been having difficulty filling, bleeding and balancing the system. Questions are: Should the circulator be moved to the supply pipe? Should the capped monoflo tees have a pipe placed between them? What is the method to fill, bleed and balance?
  • David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Time for a pro

Without seeing your system it is impossible to tell you how to get the system running smoothly. If you have your heating company come in and bleed the system they can show you how to balance it.

David
  • Monoflor?

> Without seeing your system it is impossible to

> tell you how to get the system running smoothly.

> If you have your heating company come in and

> bleed the system they can show you how to balance

> it.

>

> David

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Air elimination

on a monoflow system is very difficult. You need to install a proper purge assembly along with a air elimination device and while you're at it, switch the circulator to the supply line and "pump away" from the expansion tank. You might also consider primary-secondary piping to keep the boiler happy.

Any knowledgeable heating contractors in your area?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ralman
    Thanks for your advice

I have had 2 different heating companies come out and they really haven't been able to take care of this problem. From what I have been reading My system seems to be improperly piped. The house is 50 years old, the piping and baseboards look original. I am guessing it was originally a coal boiler and I see evidence that there may have been a natural gas boiler before this oil boiler was installed 5 years ago.
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    The capped monoflo

tees are a no no, I would remove them. The plug in the top of the boiler? It depends on what type of compression tank you have, if it's conventional you don't want any automatic air vents. bob
This discussion has been closed.