Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a new one for BillW@Honeywell

Options
carol_3
carol_3 Member Posts: 397
Hey Bill, do you know the answer to this one?

R7184- low voltage damage

Hello, During a storm a home encountered a low voltage condition. The R7184 and the Beckett igniter were damaged. Is there a minimum voltage where the controller will not switch the line voltage to the igniter? Both Honeywell and Beckett could not help me there. Beckett said anything under 80 volts will do damage. If there is no safeguard, maybe there should be. At least it would save one component. Thanks, Spark

Comments

• BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Well, here's an idea...

I have always been a proponent of installing whole-house surge supressors to protect all the electronic gizmos we depend on today, and not just for heating & cooling. Ligtning transients do funny things to electrical systems, as does utility load switching. Brownouts regularly fry AC compressors, low voltage cooks zone valve motors, so I would assume that the same would happen to an oil primary. I will forward this to the combustion gurus to see what they have to say. See you at NAOHSM!
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

Thanks Bill. Yep, NAOHSM. I'm ready for May.
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Options
    voltage and amps

If voltage drops, don't the amps increase for the load if it's drawing? possibly an amperage overload is burning out the relays or transformers. Grainger sells over and under voltage cut-out relays that reset when voltage returns to normal. just a thought. Also, check the posting on "voltage drop" down bottom in "Ask the professor"
This discussion has been closed.